If no appropriate record can be found for an item, or if an item is wanted for reserve or for a patron's use sooner than appropriate cataloging can be done:
- Create brief bib record (if none exists)
- Add call number to bib record: 099 Backlog-in Process 00/08 (the date is in mo/yr format)
- Do not assign "Cat Date"
- Create item record and attach barcode
- Location should be m (Do not make location CatDept)
- Status should be C (Backlog in Cat)
- Shelve in acquisition order on backlog shelf.
- If item is to be checked out or put on reserve:
- Change Item Code 2 to u "Uncataloged"
- Add message to item record: "Item not yet cataloged; return to Cataloging".
- Put note in book: "P&P: spine label: Middlebury College." If for reserve, add to note: "Reserves will assign Cat call no."