Contents Notes: When to Add
If the item is eligible for BNA contents, add field 905 BNA contents (F2). Ineligible items are:
- non-English non-book format pre-1990 publications
- multi-volume and/or serial
If the item is ineligible for BNA contents, add the contents note yourself . In this case, you may add contents to the OCLC record first; then overlay the Midcat record.
Add contents notes to bibliographical records if:
- The individual chapters or essays are written by different people
- The essay or chapter titles are distinctive, contain useful keywords, or clarify aspects of the work that would not be apparent from the rest of the record
- The subject matter of a portion of the work is of importance to the Middlebury curriculum, but does not meet the 20% rule for assigning a subject heading.
- The item consists of no more than 20 separate literary works by the same person or different people (e.g., short stories, plays)
- The parts have previously been published separately and the work has a collective title (AACR2, 1.1B10)
- It is unlikely that the individual works will be indexed elsewhere (i.e., small-press collections of poetry or short stories, whether by a single author or several authors)