These are instructions on handling common support requests for the Online Directory.
This error occurs about once every 60-90 days. The regular Directory page will load, but if you do a search, you will get the "Runtime Error" screen. To resolve this, restart the application pool for the Directory.
- Remote desktop to zengarden.
- Right-click on the Start-like Windows button, Control Panel, Administrative Tools and then Internet Information Service (IIS) Manager.
- Click the plus sign next to Application Pools to expand it.
- Right-click on directory.middlebury.edu and select Recycle.
- Right-click on directory.miis.edu and select Recycle.
- Re-publish the project, if necessary.
People in Multiple Departments
Some of the Faculty and Staff at Middlebury work in multiple departments and should be returned in search results for either department. This is typically indicated by a / character separating the two departments in the department attribute in their Active Directory record. To remove the concatenated department name from the Directory's drop down list and have the person's record appear for searches of either Directory, we need to edit the Directory's configuration file.
- Use Remote Desktop to connect to sandgarden.middlebury.edu
- Open the Project in SourceTree
- Open the SourceTree application.
- Click Clone / New and clone the project from email@example.com:web/directory.git to a local directory.
- Open Visual Studio.
- Select File and Open Web Site.
- Open the project from the directory you created in SourceTree
- Edit DirectorySettings.xml (see below)
- Save and commit your changes to version control and push the changes.
- Deploy the new configuration by copying the file to \\zengarden.middlebury.edu\D$\websites\directory.middlebury.edu and \\zengarden.middlebury.edu\D$\websites\directory.miis.edu
To exclude a department from the dropdown entirely, add this line in either the Middlebury or MIIS company element, where the name attribute is the name of the department as it would appear in the dropdown:
<department name="student" parent="student" />
To exclude a department from the dropdown, and have people with that department searchable by either department name, add these lines in either the Middlebury or MIIS company element, where the name attribute is the name of the department as it would appear in the dropdown:
<department name="Athletics/Communications" parent="Athletics" /> <department name="Athletics/Communications" parent="Communications" />