Online Databases: Adding New Titles to SubjectsPlus & Midcat
(Redirected from Electronic Databases: Adding to Subjects Plus & Midcat)
- When a newly purchased database is licensed and ready for access by Middlebury users, the Subscriptions & E-Resource Coordinator (Arabella Holzapfel) notifies the following staff members, and gives them the active URL for the new resource:
- Web Services & Systems Librarian (Bryan Carson)
- Designated cataloging staff (Michael Warner, Marlena Evans)
- Head of Collections (Douglas Black).
- Web Services & Systems Librarian EZproxies the database and adds it to LibGuides (A-Z Database List at go/databases/) using the LG link updater, thus creating a persistent URL for a new MIDCAT record.
- Web Services & Systems Librarian then notifies the designated catalogers that the new DB is ezproxied and is in LibGuides.
- Cataloger(s) import or create a MARC record, inserting the PURL into the 856 field. (Michael will import and edit any appropriate existing OCLC records. He will notify ??? if a database needs a new record created.)
- Arabella (?) notifies all Liaisons that the new database is in LibGuides DBAZ
- When appropriate, the Head of Collections (?) adds the new database to "What's New" and creates a LIS Blog post.
- Liaisons add the new databases to the appropriate Subject Guides as soon as possible.