Endnote X1 not compatible with Office 2008 for Mac
Endnote X11 (and earlier versions) for Mac are not compatible with Office 2008 for Mac (including not being compatible with Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac). A patch is available on the EndNote website: http://www.endnote.com/support/CWYW_Word_2008.asp
The patch is free, though a few issues exist:
- Configure EndNote does not install/uninstall CWYW for Word 2008. This patch installer is the only way to add the EndNote X1 tools automatically to Word 2008.
- Some users have reported that all the tools and menus in Word 2008 appear greyed out after installing the EndNote X1 CWYW patch for Word 2008. Switching the focus away from Word 2008, to the Finder or another program, and then returning to Word allows the toolbars to work. Note that this issue was addressed by Microsoft and it should not occur with Word 2008 12.1.3 or later.
- Figure commands result in unexpected issues with the CWYW tools. We do not recommend working with figure lists with EndNote X1 and Word 2008.
- The EndNote manuscript template wizard uses a component not found in Word 2008. Templates can be opened in Word 2008, but the wizard to set elements of the template will not run.
- The CWYW keyboard shortcuts do not work, so you must use the menu items or the toolbar.
Endnote compatibility for Mac is described at: www.endnote.com/support/en_wpchart_mac.asp