Firefox Download Error
Customer is unable to download files from Firefox. She gets the typical error about the file not being created because she doesn't have permissions to save things in that folder.
Tried to change the destination location for downloads to her desktop, not the administrator desktop. It still gave her the error that she could not save a file to "users/admin/desktop" (even though we had chosen her desktop). We had her change the download location to her documents folder, but when she tried to download a file, it still told her that she could not save a file to "users/admin/desktop". Firefox seems to not be recognizing that we're trying to change the download location.
Open Safari, change the default download location in Safari to users desktop folder.
- From the Safari menu select Preferences.
- On the Save downloaded files to drop-down list select Desktop.
- Close the dialog box.
This should allow Firefox to be fixed as well. This worked like a charm.
If this doesn't help, try this:
- Quit (don't just close) all browsers (Safari, Firefox, etc).
- Click on the Desktop.
- Click on the "Go" menu at the very top.
- Click "Home".
- When the home folder appears, open Library, then open Preferences.
- In the Preferences window, drag these two files to the trash: com.apple.internetconfig and com.apple.internetconfigpriv (they both may end with "plist").
- Restart the computer.
Author: Linda Knutson Modified Date: November 5, 2007