Managing Group Membership and Permissions
This page contains instructions used to change membership in distribution lists (groups), which can be used for email distribution and/or controlling permissions (access) to the following:
- Middfiles server folders (including Classes and Orgs)
- Course Hub and related curricular resources
- Shared documents in OneDrive and Google Drive
- Certain shared mailboxes
- Certain restricted internal web resources
Group membership for distribution lists is managed using the Exchange Admin Center. Use the following instructions to add or remove someone from a distribution group that is visible in the Global Address Book.
Important: A VPN connection is needed to access this service when you are not on the Middlebury network!
Locate & Edit a Group
- Start a browser and log into the Exchange Admin Center at http://go.middlebury.edu/ecp with your Middlebury username and password.
- Note: VPN is needed to use this service when you are not on the Middlebury network. Refer to http://go/vpn/ for installation & usage details.
- Click the Search icon (magnifying glass) above the list of groups.
- Enter the part or all of the group name in the search window, then press Enter or Return to view possible matches.
Please note: Access to folders in middfiles\orgs is through a list prefixed by DFS-. For instance, to control access to the folder middfiles\orgs\ITS\Workgroups you would look for a list named DFS-ITS-Workgroups.
- Click once to select the group you would like to edit; ownership information is shown in right-hand pane.
- All groups are visible to you, but you may only edit ones you own.
- Groups owned by Administrator or Betty White are automatically generated and maintained.
- Double-click the group name to display the group properties in a new window.
- Click the membership link to display current group members (if any).
- Click the + (add) or — (remove) icons to change group membership, as described below.
- Note: For classes, an instructor can adjust only the membership of the "audits" and "instructors" groups. The "students" group populates automatically with course registration info from the Banner system.
To Remove a Member
- Click to select the desired person from the membership list.
- Click the — (remove) icon.
- Repeat for each person you want to remove from the group.
- Click the Save button when you are finished.
To Add a Member
- Click the + (add) icon. A new dialog box opens.
- Click the magnifying glass. A search field appears.
- Click in the search field, then type the last name of the person you want to find. Press the Enter or Return key to perform the search.
- Click to select the person you want from the filtered list presented.
- Click OK.
- Repeat for each person you want to add to the list.
- Click Save.
- Please note the difference between shared mailboxes (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org - a single mailbox that several people look at) and distribution lists, which can be used to send email to many people at once (e.g. email@example.com - a list of current undergraduate students). These distribution lists can also be used as the list of people who have access to something, including a shared mailbox, a folder, etc. This latter use is the focus of this page.