Qualtrics allows users to design online surveys that can be shared with a variety of participants. The Middlebury instance of Qualtrics is now available and will replace KeySurvey when the contract expires at the end of September of 2015.
Creating an Account
- Login page: https://middlebury.qualtrics.com.
- Use your existing Middlebury login information (the same username and password you use to access Midd sites/services, e.g. Google Drive, Moodle, etc.).
- MIIS users should use their firstname.lastname@example.org to login and NOT email@example.com.
- NO self-enrollment code is required after April 21st, 2016. For questions or additional information, please email Bill Koulopoulos.
- When creating a survey, you must explain your objectives and procedures, and any risks and benefits to the respondents.
- As you conduct surveys, you have the responsibility of protecting the rights of the respondents.
- You must protect the confidentiality, and respect the privacy, of the respondents.
- The survey must include a method for the respondents to reach you with questions or concerns.
- For certain research involving human subjects, you must get permission from the Institutional Review Board (IRB): http://go.middlebury.edu/irb.
- To learn more about when it is necessary to go through IRB approval, what constitutes “personally identifiable information”, what information should never be collected, what requires special approval, etc. consult the full policy document at http://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/KeySurvey-policy.
Getting Started with Qualtrics
- Learn Qualtrics in 5 Steps
- Ebook: A Guide to Using Qualtrics Research Suite
- Register For A Live Training Webinar
- Watch Pre Recorded Trainings
- Frequently Asked Questions (e.g. How to insert a heading into the survey)
Specific Help Topics
- Question options
- Using skip logic in your survey
- Formatting Answer Choices
- General Look & Feel of your survey
Additional Qualtrics Features
- Recode Values https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/question-options/recode-values/
- Embedded Data http://www.qualtrics.com/university/researchsuite/advanced-building/survey-flow/embedded-data
- Email Triggers http://www.qualtrics.com/university/researchsuite/advanced-building/advanced-options-drop-down/email-triggers
- Quotas http://www.qualtrics.com/university/researchsuite/advanced-building/advanced-options-drop-down/quotas
- Sharing a project with other Colleagues https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/my-projects/sharing-a-project/
- Reminder/Thank you Emails to those that have not taking or finished your survey https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/distributions-module/email-distribution/emails/email-distribution-management/
- Ability to add multimedia to surveys http://www.qualtrics.com/university/researchsuite/basic-building/editing-questions/rich-text-editor/insert-media
- Scoring http://www.qualtrics.com/university/researchsuite/advanced-building/advanced-options-drop-down/scoring
Transitioning from KeySurvey
Our contract with KeySurvey ends on September 30th, 2015 and you will receive a number of emails reminding you to export your surveys & data from KeySurvey.
If you want to import surveys, first they will have to be saved as a txt file. Click the link below for additional information:
If you want to import data, first they will have to be saved as a csv file. Click the link below for additional information:
Additional Information from KeySurvey:
Within KeySurvey there is not currently an option to export the survey questions to .txt format The closest thing we have to that format is a .csv export, which comes from the report. This export is designed to list the responses, with each response occupying one line after heading information that includes the survey and report name, and question text and answer labels. So the question and answer text stretches out across as many fields as needed, depending on their types and number of choices. The easiest way to view this export is with a spreadsheet application like Excel. If you have that installed on your computer, the .csv file type is probably already registered to it, so that it defaults to opening in that application.
To export your report to .csv: · On the Surveys tab, select the survey name in the center pane, and click the Report button found at the top of the right pane. · On the Reports tab, click the Export to CSV link in the right pane. · On the Publish page, select desired options for the export, and then click the Export to CSV button. · It is recommended to save the file to an easy to find location on your computer first, rather than opening it directly from your browser.
If the layout of the .csv export isn’t what you’re looking for, the only other suggestion that comes to mind is the PDF version of the survey, though that includes formatting rather than just being plain text. You may be able to convert that PDF to a Word or other editable document format, or simply copy and paste the text from it into another application.
To convert the survey to PDF: · On the Surveys tab, select the survey name in the center pane, and click the Print button found at the top of the right pane. · This automatically provides the color version in portrait orientation.