Quick Guide LibraryH3lp
- 1 ACCESS THE LIBRARYH3LP CHAT CLIENT
- 2 WHAT YOU SEE UPON LOGIN
- 3 STARTING YOUR CHAT SHIFT
- 4 INCOMING CHAT
- 5 WHAT THE PATRON SEES
- 6 SEND FILES
- 7 PATRON RECEIVES FILE
- 8 PATRONS SENDING FILES
- 9 SEND TRANSCRIPT OF CHAT SESSION TO PATRON
- 10 PATRONS CAN OBTAIN THEIR OWN CHAT TRANSCRIPT
- 11 TRANSFERRING A CHAT TO ANOTHER LIBRARIAN
- 12 COMPLETING AN EMAIL REFERRAL
- 13 COMPLETING YOUR SHIFT
- 14 TROUBLESHOOTING
- 15 New "Alert Window": Firefox or Chrome
- 16 More Information
ACCESS THE LIBRARYH3LP CHAT CLIENT
Note: use all lower-case for your username: your password is case-sensitive
Best practice: check your buddy list to see if any other librarians are online.
STARTING YOUR CHAT SHIFT
When you are ready to take your shift, login & make sure your status is set to "Available".
(When you login, your status should default to "Available".)
An incoming chat is accompanied by sound and blinking title bar. Answering the chat will stop the sound and the blinking. Enter your response at the bottom of the widget.Press enter to send the message.
Update: the newest version of LibraryH3lp has an option of pop-up alert window. See bottom for instructions.
WHAT THE PATRON SEES
On the patron side, the chat status will appear in the top left hand corner. The patron types their message in the lower box.
You can send files easily to the patron. Click the "Send File" link.
Browse to the file location and click "Ok".
Note: sending files must be done separately from the actual message regarding the sent file.
PATRON RECEIVES FILE
The patron will see files that you send as a link in their chat window. Clicking on the link gives them access to the file.
PATRONS SENDING FILES
Patrons can also send files to you. Instruct the patron to click on the folder icon and locate the file. When a patrons sends a file, the upload window tends to open inside the chat widget window and the patron does not receive any confirmation that the file has been sent. Let the patron know that the file has been received (you will see a link in your client window).
When you receive the file that the patron sent, you will get a "downloaded from" message (NOTE: you will see the same message for both sending and receiving files.)
SEND TRANSCRIPT OF CHAT SESSION TO PATRON
To send a chat transcript to a patron, click on "Email Transcript", obtain and then enter the patron's email address and click "OK".
PATRONS CAN OBTAIN THEIR OWN CHAT TRANSCRIPT
You may simply wish to alert patrons they can obtain a transcript themselves by clicking on the envelope in the lower right corner. Another window will popup for their email address.
TRANSFERRING A CHAT TO ANOTHER LIBRARIAN
One of the benefits of LibraryH3lp is that you can transfer an active chat session to another librarian (especially useful at shift change).
Click on the Transfer Chat link > choose librarian from the Individual list > click OK.
When the transfer goes through, you will receive a notification that the patron has left the conversation with you. The session is no longer active for you.
COMPLETING AN EMAIL REFERRAL
When the complexity of a chat session requires referral to a subject librarian, simply cut and paste the chat conversation into an email to the designated subject librarian and add any necessary information. Emailing the chat transcript directly from Library H3lp does not allow us to add context to the message (the receiving librarian will get only the transcript)
Ignore the "Tag for Follow-up" feature for now (it only sends email to top-level administators).
COMPLETING YOUR SHIFT
Log off at the end of your shift.
- If you can't see other logged-on staff in your buddy list (or if they can't see you), try toggling your availability status to "unavailable" and then back to "available" or "free for chat", as appropriate.
- If you have connectivity problems, try clearing your browser cache (SHIFT + Refresh)
- Check LibH3lp status & updates by checking their Twitter feeds: http://twitter.com/#!/libraryh3lp/
- Forget to logout or unable to logout? Check with someone who has LibraryH3lp administration rights (Bryan/Richard/Carrie). One of them will take the following steps:
- Login to Admin mode : https://us.libraryh3lp.com/admin/
- Click Users tab at bottom
- Click the user's name on list
- Uncheck the boxes next to librarian's assigned queues (usually midd-reference)
- When the librarian logs in again, he/she will need to re-check the queue box
New "Alert Window": Firefox or Chrome
- Firefox: Download the Desktop alert extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/html-notifications/
- Chrome: no need to download –it’s ready to roll.
- Activating the alert in both FF & Chrome:
- Logon to chat ref (in whichever browser you will be using – or follow these same instructions for both browsers after you’ve downloaded the FF extension
- In the upper right corner “action” button, choose “Enable desktop notifications”
- The alert window isn’t large – it stays down with your browser menu -- but it should help, along with the “sonar ping” that still sounds.
NOTE: you may need to 'allow pop-ups' for libraryh3lp.com.
- To add LibraryHelp widget to a subject guide, see instructions here on SubjectsPlus wiki page.
- Follow this link for a short video tutorial created by the librarians at American University.
- Check more documentation on the LibraryH3lp webpages.
Note: This guide was copied from one created by Uta Hussong-Christian & Stefanie Buck at Oregon State University.