Computer Recalls and Updates
Recalled hardware and software.
Firmware and software updates that resolve hardware problems.
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) keeps a comprehensive list: http://www.cpsc.gov/cgi-bin/prod.aspx
A list of exchange and repair services: http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/
Apple MacBook Hard Drive Recall
Apple has determined that a very small percentage of hard drives that were used in MacBook systems, sold between approximately May 2006 and December 2007, may fail under certain conditions.
Apple Battery Update/Recall
iPhone 3G Ultracompact USB Adapter
"Apple has determined that under certain conditions the new ultracompact Apple USB power adapter's metal prongs can break off and remain in a power outlet, creating a risk of electric shock. We have received reports of detached blades involving a very small percentage of the adapters sold, but no injuries have been reported." See: http://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter/exchangeprogram/ for replacement.
MacBook Pro NVidia Graphics Card
- What to look for:
- Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
- No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
- Specific products affected:
- MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors
- MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz)
- MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
- These computers were manufactured between approximately May 2007 and September 2008
MacBook Pro (June 2009) Hard Drive Firmware Update
- MacBook Pro Hard Drive Firmware Update 2.0 reduces certain infrequent noises made by hard drives.