Sponsored access guest
The Sponsored Access Guest account type was envisioned as a way to record non-employee and non-student guests in Banner. Please contact ITSManagers@middlebury.edu if you have questions about this process.
The construction of this account type was envisioned to provide a consistent set of institutional services and resources that do not violate our academic contracts and licenses. ITS was also striving to automate the provisioning and de-provisioning of resources and services to provide a seamless experience for the guest while providing security for Middlebury.
What is a sponsored access guest?
A sponsored access guest is a person who is participating in a funded or sponsored event held on the Middlebury campus. An example would be a grant-funded conference held at Middlebury that lasts several days and requires access to buildings or resources beyond the guest wireless network.
When would I use this type of account versus other types of guest accounts?
Please review this page to determine which level of access would be most appropriate for your guests. https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/Middlebury_Guest_Account
What services or applications are available to sponsored access guests with this account?
Note: There may be additional requests needed to Middlebury departments to fully utilize these services and applications. See below for more details.
- Building Access Card
- Card Catalog
- Web Helpdesk (client-side access only)
- Lab Computer Access
- VPN (Virtual Private Network) Access
Services that will need additional access requests:
- Building Access Card - The guest will have a card, but Public Safety will need to be informed your guests will need access to specific buildings or areas. mailto:email@example.com
- MiddFiles - Granting access to a folder or folders, or creating a special group for folder access, must be handled through a request to ITS.
Please file a Web Helpdesk ticket (giving at least a week's lead time before your event) and include details like folder location, name of group that needs access, or if needed, the names of people to be added to a new group. Web Helpdesk folder access request
- VPN (Virtual Private Network) access - This would allow guests to access on-campus resources from off-campus. This is rarely needed, so it will be granted on a case-by-case basis.
Please file a Web Helpdesk ticket (giving at least a week's lead time before your event) and include an explanation about why access is needed. Also include the names of the persons who will need access. Web Helpdesk request for sponsored access guest VPN access
How long does the sponsored access guest access last?
If all information is entered correctly and completely, the sponsored access guest account is created 14 days before the visit starts. The account is disabled the day after the visit ends, and deleted 60 days after the visit ends.
Note: If a visit lasts longer than 90 days, it is likely the person is misclassified as a sponsored access guest.
Who enters the information for a sponsored access guest?
The sponsor of the event or the sponsor's delegate is responsible for entering sponsored access guest information into Banner in a timely fashion.
What information needs to be entered into Banner to create a sponsored access guest account?
Please see Sponsored Access Guest - Banner Data Entry Guide . Log-in to Middlebury Google Account is required to view the document.
How will I know if guest accounts have been created? Currently, the Administrative Systems group would need to let you know if your accounts have all been created. We realize this is not ideal, and are working on a way to provide a self-service solution for sponsors to obtain this information. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will sponsored access guests receive a Middlebury e-mail address? No. We cannot offer a Middlebury e-mail address to sponsored access guests without violating our Microsoft contracts. Sponsors will need to communicate with participants via their private e-mail address.
- When I enter person information, should I update a mailing or campus address? No, please do not modify existing address records. If the existing C1 (campus) or MA (mailing) addresses in Banner are different than what the person provided, please add new records.