Telephone and Voice Mail Services
Welcome to the Telephone Services' upgrade to VoIP information wiki. If you are seeking general Telephone Services guidance, please use go/phone.Italic text
The objective is to replace the current legacy TDM voice system with a Voice over IP system. Legacy vendors have discontinued TDM products. Installing a VoIP system will bring an open-ended set of features and functions that can be integrated with future technological functions.
- Current telephone system is near end-of-life and all manufacturer support ends on March 15, 2015.
- Voice over IP will be a platform to build application features such as mobility, softphones, integrated conference calling via audio or video, unified messaging, and one number reach among others.
- A VoIP system will integrate with our existing monitoring infrastructure for measuring service availability
- Potentially lower expenses for telephone equipment as less desk sets required.
- Voice services will become part of the network and will no longer be a separate maintenance cost for support of the infrastructure.
Scope of Work/Intended Results
- Identify available technologies
- Include integration possibilities with remote campuses.
- Prioritize technologies in order of importance.
- Write RFP.
- Evaluate proposals and narrow choices.
- Engage campus users of system on what they would like
- Buy-in from project stakeholders.
- Provide capital budget for project
- Including network upgrades required, e.g. PoE.
- Arrange vendor presentations.
- Choose vendor and negotiate contract.
- Implementation. (a separate project or part 2).
- Management of system and training (part of separate implementation project).
- BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy with regard to mobile applications.
- Having a prioritized list of features and technologies for a new telephony system.
- Having a RFP in hand.
- Having a cost estimate that we feel comfortable with.
- Engagement & consensus from stakeholders.
- Milestones achieved.
- This page was last edited on 18 December 2015, at 09:55.
- About Library & ITS Wiki