Middlebury

Test goals

1.Academic Resources- Efforts to either create new resources for use in the curriculum, or to facilitate access to resources developed elsewhere.

 

 1.1     Improve search and discovery functions in MIDCAT

  

Actions:

  

a)    Improve labeling of locations in MIDCAT to make it clearer where the items are. Along with this, improve signage in the library so catalog locations and
       physical locations are more easily matched. Work with Joe Antonioli on the creation of linkable location maps from MIDCAT.

   

b)    Create policies and procedures for making the genre index more ‘robust.’

 

c)    Review failed search data to enhance see references in MIDCAT.

 

Outcome: An improved access tool, allowing users to more easily find appropriate resources, both within the catalog and physically in the library

People/Groups involved: Cataloging; Library Systems

Deadline: June 09

 

1.2     Increase holdings in Japanese and improve access to the Japanese Collection

 

Actions:
 
a)     Catalog and process the two recent gifts of Japanese-language materials, which will increase our holdings in Japanese by approximately 50%.
b)     Reclass the Japanese Collection materials from an antiquated non-standard system into LC, the scheme used for almost all of the Middlebury collections.
c)     Add parallel Japanese character fields to the Romanized fields in the records. This can mostly be done by overlaying the records in MIDCAT with
        their counterparts in OCLC that do have character fields. For the few remaining, our Japanese student assistant will type in the characters.

   

Outcomes: A significantly larger and more accessible collection of Japanese materials to support the curriculum  

People/Groups involved: Cataloging

Deadline: June 09

 
1.3    Improve and/or provide access to processed manuscript collections held by Special Collections,
        as well as to other unique collections held by the libraries (e.g. Flanders Ballad Collection field
        recordings, News Bureau Photographs)

   

Actions:

   

establish workflows for creation of metadata record in ContentDM for online finding aids; creating collection-level records within MIDCAT (with links to online finding aid in ContentDM); uploading images and batch metadata (via spreadsheet) to ContentDM    


install ContentDM acquisition stations for catalogers as needed  


upload data and complete Phases 1 2 of MiddHistory Online project  


begin cataloging News Bureau Photographs  


create documentation for metadata creation  


work with other areas (e.g. interns) to develop the functionality of CONTENTdm, especially portals to the collections improving subject and author indexing  


pursue funding sources for digitization projects (esp. for Flanders field recordings, once copyright/IP issues have been resolved)


 

Outcomes: Increased awareness and use of these collections; streamlined, consistent procedure for handling creation of metadata for locally digital collections; integration of metadata creation into cataloging department; better, more consistent metadata in digital collection records

 

People/Groups involved: Cataloging; Special Collections

Deadline: June 09

 

1.4     With selectors and liaisons, define what it means to be a "digital library"

 

Actions:

 

identify material or classes of material that we should continue or begin collecting in digital form: journal subscriptions, e-books, local digitization efforts, free web sites, etc.

develop guidelines for database trials and for reviewing new e-resources

identify and where possible purchase resources that may be especially appropriate to support curricula at remote Middlebury College locations (Mills, schools abroad, etc.)


 

Outcomes: Clear definition of what a "digital library" means for Middlebury; assessment of where our mixture of print/digital continuing purchases falls within that definition; improved access to resources for off-site (i.e., non-Vermont) library users

 

People/Groups involved: Collection Development; Special Collections; Cataloging; Acquisitions; Selectors; Liaisons
Date: June 00
 
1.5     Standardize procedures for cataloging and access to record groups within the Archive

 

Actions:

  

educate staff (both in Collection Management and elsewhere) as needed about Special Collections collecting policies in College Archives

develop workflow to insure timely cataloging of newly acquired items in Archives  

 

Outcomes: Easy and appropriate access to student publications; clear guidelines for dealing with same.

People/Groups involved: Special Collections; Cataloging

Date: June 09
 

1.6     Investigate Instituting Direct Purchasing by ILL as a Collection Development Tool

 

Actions: Review models in use at other schools; examine billing and invoicing requirements; develop tentative guidelines and procedures; and perform a trial run.

Outcomes: Assess results of trial and decide whether or not to implement practice.

People/Groups involved: ILL; Coll. Dev.; Acquisitions.

Date: June 09

 
1.7     Establish a prominent, consistent, reliable, welcoming, and efficient reference/research librarian
          presence available to Middlebury community members on campus and from remote locations.

 

 Actions:

 

* Install and test the Williams Reference Blog software to help record and manage inquiries, collect statistics, and establish a knowledge/training base.
* Continue to investigate and test other software and communication applications to support Reference. 
* Participate in marketing activities to channel inquiries to Reference.
* Use blog data to help determine staffing patterns for Reference

 

Outcome:

 

* Library users will be able – and know how – to get reference/research help when they need it.
* When Librarian is not available or off-duty, a standard process will be in place to provide help within a defined amount of time.

 

People/Area Involved: Research and Instruction; Operations, to include Main, Music, and Armstrong Service Points.

Date: Refblog or another software tool in place and operational in January Term, 2009; assess and evaluate staffing and functionality by June 2009 to inform future changes.  

 

1.8     Improve visibility and access to online academic library resources

 

Actions:

 

  • Continue and complete online migration of Subject Guides to Subjects Plus or Segue.
* Employ and exploit functionality of Subjects Plus.  
* Continue development of other web-based guides, e.g., “Doing research in the Middlebury Libraries”. Consider using video format for some brief, repetitive instruction segments.  
  • Develop “Resources for Presenters” guide for Spring Symposium.

 

Outcome: Library users are able to find their way to resources they need on their own via the LIS web pages.

People/Area Involved: LIS Librarians, web committee(s); Joe A and Mack R.

Date: Subject guide migration completed by start of 2009-2010 academic year; Spring Symposium guide in place by March.

 

1.9     Improve the Reference Collection

 

Actions:

 

* The Reference Advisory Group is crafting a new reference collection policy, with guidelines for what it should be and do, including print, online subscriptions and one-time purchases, and free web resources.

 

* Identify gaps and redundancies; continue the weeding project; move from print to digital formats where possible; consider how to treat the Ready Reference Collection.

 

Outcome: Smaller, more effective Reference Collection requiring less space.

People/Area Involved: LIS Librarians; LIS facilities and space review efforts.

Date: Draft collection policy by December 1, 2008, agreement of Reference Librarians by February 15, 2008, and weeding completed by May 2, 2008.

 

1.10     Reduce error rate at check-in/check-out and re-shelving.

 

Outcome: Reduced incidents of claims returned, mis-shelved, and missing materials; eliminate lost/missing parts to equipment kits; increase customer confidence Establish baseline for measuring improvement.

 

Possible actions: training programs; set standards/expectations/policies for supervisors and student workers; develop workflows that reduce potential for errors.

Date: Feb 09

 

1.11     Develop Media Materials Workflow.

 

Outcome: Media collection that is available and in good condition to support screening and classroom, reserve viewing needs. Possible actions: re-label/improve shelving for LD collection; proposal for media replacement/acquisition; system for regular shelf-reading; training; shelf-shifting and labeling; review system for browsing media as collection grows; review repair workflow.  
 

Date: Feb 09

 

1.12     Analyze Market for Segue, Concerto and Harmoni

 

Actions/milestones:

 

• Position Segue, Concerto and Harmoni in the "academic technologies" market

• Differentiate Segue, Concerto and Harmoni from comparable systems in the market

• Draft business plan for Segue, Concerto and Harmoni

• Submit Market Research report to LIS administration

 

People/areas involved: Alex Chapin, Adam Franco, Tom Cutter, Mike Roy

Date: January 2009

 

1.13     Design sites that aggregate documentation and possibilities of current and emerging technologies

 

Actions/milestones:

 

• Research emerging technologies and the possibilities they introduce

• Develop taxonomy of current and emerging technologies

• Document each technology

• Compile lists of examples

 

People/areas involved: Alex Chapin, Adam Franco, other academic technologists

Date: Ongoing

More information can be found at https://segue.middlebury.edu/sites/ttlr

 

1.14     Develop MiddTube video management application

 

Actions/milestones:

 

• Create a MiddTube web application for managing video uploads from Middlebury community;
• Create SOAP API to MiddTube application;
• Create video upload/access user interfaces using SOAP API in Segue, Wordpress, and current WWW CMS and/or new college CMS  
 

People/areas involved: Adam Franco, Ian McBride

Date: March 2009  

 

1.15     Develop a new course catalog site with faceted search UI  

 

Actions/milestones:  

 

• Request access to a view of course catalog information from Banner

• Create a web application to display course catalog information

• Refine this application to allow for faceted search and browse

• Integrate this application with the current course websites database listing  

 

People/areas involved: Alex Chapin, Adam Franco

Date: March 2009  

 

1.16     Develop Services for Sharing Data Across Applications  

 

Actions/milestones:  

 
• Integrate access to Concerto assets, collections and exhibitions into Segue v2
• Create web services for getting role and/or activity information from Segue, WordPress and Measure and possibly other systems'

 

People/areas involved: Adam Franco

Date: June 2009  

 

1.17     Refine Segue v2 to improve user experience  

 

Actions/milestones:  

 

• Implement all the features of Segue v1 in Segue v2

• Refine UI so it is more intuitive and efficient  

 

People/areas involved: Alex Chapin, Adam Franco

Date: ongoing  

 

1.18     Update language learning resources for mobile platforms  

 

Actions/milestones:  

 

• Embed metadata into new Japanese audio resources

• Update existing language learning resources as needed  

 

People/areas involved: Alex Chapin, Adam Franco

Date: Ongoing  

 
1.19     User Centricity and Involvement
 

            1.19.1 Develop a community of users and developers around Segue, Concerto and Harmoni

   

               Actions/milestones:

   

               • Promote Segue, Concerto and Harmoni beyond Middlebury through documentation and presentations
               • Collaborate/partner with other developers/institutions/initiatives to promote open standards and services 
                  including possibly:

                  o O.K.I. to develop and promote OSIDs

                  o The UOC CAMPUS project and Sakai developers to develop an enterprise service bus

                  o Project Bamboo to develop a services framework

               • Update Harmoni OSID implementations to latest version of OSID and include service bus

   

              People/areas involved: Alex Chapin, Adam Franco, Tom Cutter, Mike Roy

              Date: Ongoing

   

              More information can be found at
 
1.20     Increase video conferencing locations by 50%.Possible Actions:

 

Upgrade LIB145 and/or a room in McCardell Bicentennial Hall. Add additional mobile units that can be setup in different locations across campus.

 

 

Outcome: Provide means for faculty and staff to collaborate with colleagues without the need for travel.'

People/Areas Involved: Media Services, Helpdesk, and Network/Infrastructure

Date: February 09 
 

2. Education- Things we are doing to provide training and awareness for our patrons.

 

 

2.1     Revise and refresh the model of the Liaison Program to Faculty

  

Actions:

   

  • Establish a working leadership model for the Liaison Program, populate it, and staff it.
  • Meet with LIS Liaisons to convey structure and responsibilities.

   

Outcome: Improved communication with faculty via a single Liaison serving as the contact point to Academic departments.

   

People/Area Involved: LIS Liaisons, M. Roy, Office of the Provost; Faculty, All of LIS

   

Date: January Term, 2009 for model program definition and initial assignments. Assignments completed by June, 2009 for roll-out (concurrent with new web presence?) for 2009-2010 academic year.

   

2.2     Define and Manage LIS instructional efforts for students and faculty

   

Actions: Identify and map the instruction LIS provides on an ongoing basis in order to better apportion support for:

 
* Curricular media assignments
  • Discipline and Course-specific Library resources
  • Refworks
  • Google Earth
  • Photoshop
  • Email
  • Core Software
  • and many more . . .
 
Outcome:

  

  • A clearer picture of how LIS teaching resources are being applied.
  • A path to suggest how we might better ‘teach the teachers”.
  • Clearer ways to support and supplement these efforts.
  • A list to use to consider alternative methods of instruction, e.g., online videos.
  • A list to use when talking with faculty about how LIS might support their efforts.

 

People/Area Involved: Anyone in LIS who offers instruction, CTLR

 

Date: June 30 and ongoing.

 
2.3     Faculty awareness of Open Access/Author Agreements

   

Actions: draft a resolution for faculty to consider that asserts their rights to control access to their works

Outcomes: Public statement of faculty support of open access to scholarly works

People/Groups: IR; Working Group; Dean of LIS; faculty council/faculty

Date: Fall 2009
 
2.4     Develop campus Copyright web site to centralize links to campus policies and external resources

 

Actions: Create Web page(s) that include information on copyright policies guidelines, legislation and legal issues, filesharing/P2P and risk mitigation, author rights, creative commons

 

Outcomes: Easy-to-find and use site

People/Groups: Policy Advisor; Reference & Instruction; User Services

Date: January 2009
 
2.5     Create a distribution process to deploy Microsoft Office 2007 (PC) and Microsoft Office 2008
          (Mac). Process must take into consideration the following: Help Desk Services Training, End-User
          Training (internal LIS, external Faculty and Staff), End-User Documentation, and Deployment
          schedule.

   

Outcome: Create and implement a consistent and standard approach to the implementation of Microsoft Office 2007 to the end-user community.

 

People/Areas involved: Internal LIS Help Desk Staff, All LIS staff and faculty

Date: January 23, 2009

  

2.6     Offer Classroom Training classes as part of LIS Workshop series.

 

Possible Actions: Create classes that are focused on the two different control systems utilized on campus. A class for individuals we partner with across campus to support events or lectures.

 

Outcome: Classroom projection emergencies reduced by 25%. Improve confidence of faculty and staff that utilize classroom technology for training or teaching.

 

People/Areas Involved: Media Services, Helpdesk, and College community

Date: January 09

 

    

3. Administrative Efficiency - Efforts we make to improve the administrative efficiency of the College.

 

 

3.1     Lead the re-architecting and re-design of the major Middlebury websites

 

Actions: We will work with students, faculty, and staff from across the College and MIIS to re-do our web presence. This will include a new information architecture, a new software platform, and an increased attention to the inclusion of rich media, and of community-building tools.

 

Outcome: Redesigned website, and a revised approach to website maintenance and development, including a new staffing plan.

 

People/Areas Involved: We are involving the entire community in this process; we have a workgroup consisting of faculty, students, and staff developing and implementing plans.

 

Date: Project kicked off in October 2008, and to complete Phase One by August 2009

 

More information can be found at <a href="http://blogs.middlebury.edu/webredo/">http://blogs.middlebury.edu/webredo/</a>

 
3.2     Define and post intellectual property rights policies for faculty, staff, student authors, artists, and
          inventors

   

Action: Draft patent policies; consult with Academic administration

Outcomes: IP and Patent policies are formally approved and posted online in Handbook

People/Groups: LIS Policy Advisor; Acad., Admin; legal counsel

 

3.3     Complete Mission Continuity Planning (Phoenix Project)

 

Actions: Complete Phase 2 (requirements, Business Impact Analysis, recommendations); Create Phase 3 project charter – create and implement MCP plans

 

Outcome: Clearly articulated priorities for actions to take by LIS & key units across campus in event of disasters

 

People/Groups: Systems Integration/Effectiveness; staff across campus; administration

Date: June 2009
 
3.4     Provide efficient online storage and access to current and legacy College business records

  

Actions: Assist in the implementation of Xtender and other digitization needs; Create a plan to migrate legacy data from the AS400 platform; Assess long-term role of centralized LIS data entry

 

Outcomes: Document scanning and links to Banner become regular practice in key administrative areas (HR, Controller, Advancement, Registrar)

  

People/Groups: Systems Integration/Effectiveness; Admin Systems; key staff across campus

Date: Phased implementation beginning November 2008; operational across campus June 2009.

   

3.5     Assist with Emergency Response web pages (as requested by Public Safety)

 

Actions: Assist in soliciting information and updating 'emergency' web sites

Outcomes: up-to-date information; consistent presentation of information, contacts, procedures

People/Groups: Public Safety; LIS Policy Advisor; LIS Asst. to the Dean

Date: March 2009 (alternative: August 2009 as part of web makeover implementation)

 

3.6     Participate in the Web makeover projects

 

Actions/milestones: Replace Microsoft Content Management Server.

People/areas involved: College admin, LIS admin, database app & sys, designated staff

Date: September 2010 Actions/milestones:

   

Actions/milestones: Global Visual Web Redesign for <a href="http://www.middlebury.edu/">www.Middlebury.edu</a>.

People/areas involved: College admin, LIS admin, database app & sys, designated staff

Date: Project kicked off October 2008, Phase One complete by August 2009

   

Actions/milestones: Global Visual Web Redesign for <a href="http://www.miis.edu/">www.MIIS.edu</a>.

People/areas involved: College admin, LIS admin, database app & sys, designated staff

Date: Project kicked off October 2008, Phase One complete by August

   

3.7     Upgrade to Banner 8

   

Actions/milestones: Complete Banner 8 upgrades and all required upgrades to Oracle databases and infrastructure needed to support Banner 8, including database character set conversion and AIX server upgrades.

   

People/areas involved: admin sys, database app & sys, central sys, and functional areas

   

Date: December 12, 2008; postponed to no earlier than March 2009, Leads has not yet set a new live date but early 2009 is expected.

   

3.8     Integrate Monterey’s information technology needs into our overall environment

   

Actions/milestones: Continue to provide implementation, integration, and support services to Middlebury and Monterey staff for implementation of Banner Student and Financial Aid modules.

   

People/areas involved: admin sys, database app & sys, central sys, and functional areas

Date: Ongoing through July 2010 live date (with various due dates for separate pieces of the implementation scheduled separately by the MIIS Student Implementation Team).

   

Actions/milestones: Hosting of faculty/staff/student email

People/areas involved: admin sys, central sys, and functional areas

Date: August 2008


--------------------

Actions/milestones: Load Monterey basic student data to enable programmatic email account generation for all full time registered Monterey students.

   

People/areas involved: admin sys, database app sys, central sys, and functional areas

Date: October 2008 – Completed for Monterey staff student workers only.


--------------------

Actions/milestones: Support Monterey retirement plan review and redesign; implement system and program changes when identified.

   

People/areas involved: admin sys and Human Resources

Date: December 2008


--------------------

Actions/milestones: Provide technology consulting.

People/areas involved: admin sys, database app & sys, central sys, and functional areas

Date: Ongoing through July 2010

   

3.9     Complete Hyperion System 9 migration and Hyperion Basic Training curriculum

   

Actions/milestones: Server procured, software installed, data migrated, end users training, environment tested.

People/areas involved: admin sys, database app & sys, central sys, and functional areas

Date: November 2008

   

3.10 Improve efficiency and operations of our administrative systems environment

   

Actions/milestones: Provide assistance to Human Resources in the development of electronic Employee Personnel Forms (EPAFS) to provide efficient and accurate data entry of employee and job data in Banner.

   

People/areas involved: admin sys and functional areas

Date: November 2008


--------------------

Actions/milestones: Development of Banner/List Manager Web Interface

People/areas involved: admin sys, database app & sys, and functional areas

Date: December 2008


--------------------

Actions/milestones: Continue development of data standards to ensure data integrity in all systems, including the development of a method to enable stewardship of address type codes and to prevent addresses for students and employees from being improperly changed or deleted.

   

People/areas involved: admin sys and functional areas

Date: February 2009


--------------------

Actions/milestones: Refinement of Online Room Draw Process

People/areas involved: admin sys, database app sys, and functional areas

Date: February 2009


--------------------

Actions/milestones: Develop method of validating building names in Banner campus address records to ensure data accuracy in all systems, including AlertFind and web directories.

   

People/areas involved: admin sys, central sys, tel serv, and functional areas

Date: 0March 2009


--------------------

Actions/milestones: Support campus wide paperless initiatives by providing Banner enhancements when identified.

   

People/areas involved: admin sys and functional areas

Date: June 2009

   

3.11     Supplement gaps due to staff vacancies or lack of specialized knowledge

   

Actions/milestones: Re-negotiate Hyperion Professional Services Contract with Velaris; continue remote DBA agreement until DBA hired.

 

People/areas involved: admin sys, database app, sys, central sys

Date: December 2008

 

Actions/milestones: Complete cross training to provide primary backup for Banner patches and upgrades, management of Banner and Oracle security requests, promoting changes to Production database, and maintaining Banner environment.

 

People/areas involved: admin sys

Date: December 2008

   

3.12     Replace campus voice mail system that is at the end of its support life

   

Actions/milestones: Vendor pricing based on different sized system – November 2008; Re-visit the practice of provisioning students with basic voice mail service with support of DOC and Presidents’ staff – December 2008; present to President’s Staff

   

People/areas involved: tel serv, central sys, LIS administration, Dean of College, President’s staff, student leadership groups.

   

Date: August 2009 
 
3.13     Craft a multi-year campus voice strategy which may be folded into a strategic technology
            convergence plan

   

Actions/milestones: Investigate ways of providing cost-effective and beneficial voice services to meet future needs; research wireless voice, IP telephony, unified communications, and voice recognition/operator services

   

People/areas involved: tel serv, LIS administration, LIS S&I, additional campus constituencies to elicit voice preferences.

   

Date: March 2009

 
3.14     EXAMINATION of existing asset tracking; Inventory system (Asset control and management
           define hardware, software, license key). Perform value-add/loss analysis and investigate possible
           replacement products or methodologies for calendar year 2009.

  

Indentify current asset tracking requirements for LIS HD.- Full review of component needs: Software tracking, Hardware tracking, License tracking (Keyserver?)

  

Outcome: Knowing what we have and where it is; Cost associated with asset; Increased control over assets; More timely reporting of assets; Compliance; Integration into incident tracking system

  

People/Areas involved: All internal Help Desk Staff; All Help Desk student employees

  

Date: - Hardware tracking (control process created – interim) Completed: November 14, 2008 - Review Control Plan and Implement (interim) Completed: November 21, 2008 - Electronic acquisition of assets Completed: November 28, 2008 - Physical acquisition and reconcile of assets Completed: December 31, 2008

  

Goal Completed: December 31, 2008

  

NOTE: This is a short-term strategic goal. The long-term need to improve and control our inventory process and actual assets and need to be re-examined after the interim period.

  

3.15     Develop and implement 5 year (budget dependent) classroom upgrade cycle.

  

Outcome: Improve planning and maintenance of classroom technology. Assist LIS in planning for future needs of faculty and staff.

  

People/Areas Involved: Media Services, LIS Administration, Registrar, and Event Scheduling

  

Date: December 08

  

3.16     90% inventory accuracy of all computer and media equipment distributed by LIS.

   

People/Areas Involved: Media Services, Helpdesk, LIS Administration, and College community

Date: January 09

   

 

4. Facilities/Space - Having to do with public library space, classrooms, computer labs, and other physical locations that we are involved with maintaining.

 

 

4.1     Comprehensive review of how space is utilized in the Main Library

   

Possible Actions: form a study group of stakeholders to draft and review various options, solicit input from students and faculty, develop achievable scenario. This will include staff office spaces and how much of each floor and area of the library should be collections, study space, etc.

   

Outcome: a plan for an improved space that is more welcoming, less wasteful of square footage, more efficient for staffing

   

Date: June 09

   

4.2     Initiate or complete weeding/withdrawal projects currently underway

   

Actions:

   

Remove JSTOR and Project Muse holdings held in print (i.e. physical volumes) as appropriate

Withdraw ca. 14,000 LPs stored in Special Collections

Move ca. 1,000 laser discs from Circulation Desk to Special Collections storage

Implement OCLC electronic holdings service

 

Outcome: Reclamation of shelf space in stacks, Special Collections, Circulation areas; vols. are disposed of in as environmentally conscious manner as possible; e-holdings visible in WorldCat reducing ILL requests for items we already have access to

   

People/Groups involved: Copy Cataloging; Special Collections; Music Library; Media Resources Coordinator; FMMC faculty; Serials; Stacks Maintenance

   

Date: June 09

 
4.3     Create a plan to make the growing number of A/V materials held by Special Collections more
          accessible
 

Actions:

   

Identify equipment needs, along with appropriate physical spaces within Special Collections or nearby where equipment could be housed

Identify A/V materials that might be made more accessible through digitization

Estimate costs

 

Outcome: Detailed proposal/plan for purchasing and housing needed equipment, leading ultimately to easier access to A/V materials held by Special Collections

   

People/Groups involved: Special Collections; Music Library; Media Resources Coordinator; Building Facilities Coordinator

   

Date: June 09

 
4.4     Study use of space on Main floor of Library to gain functionality

   

Actions:

   

  • Ask library users what they would like to see.
  • Poll Main Floor staff for suggestions.
  • bserve and document use of spaces.
  • Consider actions that would recover space and redefine functions.

   

Outcome: Refreshed, revitalized, efficient use of space.

People/Area involved: Joseph Watson; Research Instruction; CTLR; Operations to include Service Points.

Date: Study and polling completed by June 2009

   

4.5     Wilson Media Lab placed on the equipment update cycle

   

Actions: Identify what needs to happen and who needs to be involved.

Outcome: Predictable updates to Lab equipment will occur with planning and preparation.

People/Area Involved: Research and Instruction; Media Services; Operations; Systems Information

Date: January 1, 2009

   

4.6     Complete major collections shift on upper level at Main

   

Outcome: Space for growth; even distribution of current collection; space for peak return periods

Date: June 09

   

4.7     Collaborate of space improvements at all locations

   

Outcome: User spaces that respond to feedback and changing needs

Possible actions: Expanded seating and carrel space at Armstrong; improvements at Music; participate in discussions regarding service points at Main; site visits; research other library space solutions; training/workshops on customer services and providing library resources

Date: June 09

   

4.8     Centrally manage and support 50% of smart classrooms.

   

Possible Actions: Utilize Crestron RoomView to manage all Crestron controlled classrooms, add new classrooms to management system as classrooms are upgraded.

   

Outcome: Increase ability of all Helpdesk staff members to troubleshoot problems in the classroom. Reduce unnecessary system on-time with remote shutdown processes each night. Increase data collection of room usage and maintenance.

   

People/Areas Involved: Media Services, Helpdesk, and Network/Infrastructure

Date: March 09

   

4.9     Standardize 100% of smart classroom control systems.

   

Possible actions: All Crestron/AMX rooms will have the same terminology, a similar layout, and respond similarly to button pushes. Update all classroom documentation.

Outcome: Reduce number of “emergency” phone calls from faculty and staff.

People/Areas Involved: Media Services and Helpdesk, input from faculty and staff

Date: June 09

   

5. Communication- Activities to keep ourselves and our community informed of our activities, and involved in our planning efforts.  

 

5.1     Create divisional faculty advisory groups in order to increase communication between LIS and
          faculty

   

Actions: Recruit representatives from each department, schedule meetings, publish notes to Faculty LIS Advisory Committee website.

   

Outcome: Regular two-way communications between all academic departments and programs and LIS to inform our planning and resource allocation, and to guide our assessment efforts.

   

People/Areas Involved: All academic departments and programs; representatives from LIS to serve on the committees.

   

Date: Groups to begin meeting in December 2008. More information can be found at <a href="Doc?id=df2dswdk_55698frj7c4">http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df2dswdk_55698frj7c4</a>  
 
5.2     With others in LIS, study and strengthen LIS efforts to market LIS resources and services in new
          ways

   

Actions:
 
* Read, follow, and interact with Brian Matthews and others who are using social software and marketing theory to reach students effectively.
 
* Form a study group to try and test new marketing ideas.

 

Outcome: Students learn of LIS resources and services at the point that they need them and can put them to use.

 

People/Area Involved: Research and Instruction and all in LIS who are interested.

Date: Group reads and studies during January Term 2009; applications of marketing and assessment techniques ongoing.

 

5.3     Prepare and update LIS reports, special guides, website

  

Actions:

  

a) LIS;Yellow Pages for student orientation

b) Annual Report to summarize activities

c) Website updates/revision

  

Outcomes: community learns of LIS;services, goals, accomplishments

People/Groups: many staff across LIS

Date:

 

a) September 2008

b) November 2008

c) ongoing; incorporated with Web Makeover (August 09)

 
5.4     Manage on-going database maintenance and training for the AlertFind emergency notification
          system

   

Actions/milestones: Regular campus-wide testing of system – fall, spring, and summer. Instruct administrators on new release features as introduced.

   

People/areas involved: tel serv, public safety, AlertFind administrators, central sys, database apps sys, admin sys

   

Date: Ongoing

   

6. Consortial - Efforts to increase the availability of resources and services to our community through involvement in existing and emerging consortial opportunities.

 

6.1     Review/create policy for NACO authority record creation

 

Actions:

   

a) Create documentation to provide guidance for catalogers for establishing headings in the national authority file (NAF)

b) Refresher training for catalogers

   

Outcome: Consistent guidance as to when catalogers should contribute records to the NAF; establish a consistent workflow for same.

   

People/Groups involved: Cataloging; Area Director

Date: June 09

 

6.2     Host NExpress conference at Middlebury

 

Actions:

 

a) Get buy-in/commitment from NExpress directors to allow staff to attend.

b) Develop date agendas

c) Reserve meeting spaces, meeting logisitics,etc.

 

Outcome: Successful NExpress conference held at Middlebury

People/Groups involved: ILL, Collection Development, Area Director; Circulation, Cataloging, Acquisitions

Date: Spring 09 
 
6.3     Provide support to Communications area for Middlebury Online Community
          <a href="http://www.middleburyalumni.org/">www.MiddleburyAlumni.org</a> (Harris

   

Actions/milestones: Contract signed, data feed provided, environment tested

People/areas involved: admin sys, database app, sys, Career Services, College Communications

Date: May 2009

   

7. Infrastructure - On-going initiatives to build and maintain a robust technology infrastructure to enable all of our other work to take place.

 

7.1     Increase the redundancy of critical systems

   

Actions/milestones: Move Banner development server from Voter to the Library - New server ordered November 2008 to replace diamond to be installed in the Library. Expand usage of VMware for redundancy - Two new VMware servers coming online November 2008. Move two servers to Library to increase capacity - December 2008Exchange in a clustered environment - July 2008 SAN presence in Voter East, Voter West and Library data centers - 4gb Fiber Channel network - November 2008

   

Extend Fiber channel network to Carr Hall; ensure adequate power, Move EMC CX600 from Voter to Carr -December 2008Procure and install monitored UPS for building wiring closets - Deferred due to lack of funding. Implement DNS and DHCP redundant/clustered solution -Demo unit to arrive December 2008.Secure Off-Site Web Hosting Account – December 2008Replicate Mission Critical (DAS) Services – May 2009Provide additional UPS power to telephone nodes without generators – January 2009.Test LIM batteries every 6 months and replace as necessary – most recently tested November 2008.

   

People/areas involved: central sys, database apps sys, tel serv, facilities services, integration and effectiveness

Dates: See above

   

7.2     E911 server replacement and upgrade

   

Actions/milestones: install new software and hardware on server and client machine, 911 calls successfully connect and identify; client machine can record calls; achieve savings by using existing PRI circuits, remove older equipment and telephone company service charges.

   

People/areas involved: central sys, tel serv, telecom contractor, public safety

Date: August 2008

   

7.3     Provide adequate storage space for College’s growing infrastructure

   

Actions/milestones: Add 28 TB of storage to the Library and Voter SANs

People/areas involved: central sys, requests from college community for additional storage space

Date: November 2008

 
7.4     Assess and ensure adequate power in all data centers with an eye toward green initiatives

   

Actions/milestones: Work with Facilities Services to upgrade UPS systems in Voter Hall – November 2008 Balance systems among our three data centers to maximize power efficiency and ongoing measurement and monitoring of power consumption - October 2008

   

Reduce our carbon footprint, e.g. AC to DC power – as funding becomes available for capital projects

   

People/areas involved: central sys, facilities services and, Carol Peddie

Dates: See above

   

7.5     Provide integrated voice services for the Snow Bowl

   

Actions/milestones: fiber successfully running network services; research, recommend and purchase IP voice system. System installed, tested and cutover.

   

People/areas involved: tel serv, Snow Bowl manager, telecom contractor, central sys

Date: May 2009

   

8. Security - On-going efforts to maintain the integrity and security of our systems and data in the face of an evolving technology landscape.

   

8.1     Develop formal information security policies procedures

   

Actions: modeled on programs at other academic institutions, consolidate existing information develop/document formal practices to follow in event of information/system security breaches (system hack, identity theft, loss of computer containing personally identifiable information, etc.); set-up procedures for annual review/audit of policies & procedures. Examine use of

   

Outcomes: Consistent, well-documented procedures to follow should a security breach occur

People/Groups: Systems & Infrastructure; Controller's Office; Registrar; College Administration

Date: April 2009

   

8.2     Promote security awareness

   

Actions: Develop community awareness of potential risks in disclosure of confidential information through MiddPoints and other communication vehicles

   

Outcomes: Informed community; reduced risk of exposure

People/Groups: Policy Advisor; Human Resources; Systems & Infrastructure; User Services; targeted College/MIIS units

Date: ongoing, beginning December 2008

   

8.3     Develop Information Security Profile (HIPAA, GLBA, FERPA, etc.)

   

Actions: Develop matrix that documents which information systems (and central or local databases) contain personally identifiable information in order to assist security reviews and compliance audits.

   

Outcomes: Easy-to-use documentation made available to key offices and auditors

People/Groups: LIS Policy; Systems Effectiveness; Data Integrity Group; Controllers, Registrar, Health Center, Human Resources

Date: January 2009

   

8.4     Protect the security of our administrative systems and the data they contain

   

Actions/milestones: Complete lockdown audit project to lockdown delivered schema accounts to increase security of Banner databases.

People/areas involved: admin sys and database app, sys

Date: March 2009

   

8.5     Develop workflow policies/processes and standards for removing personal data from loaner
          equipment.
 
Outcome: Data removed from equipment before next loan.

Date: Feb 09

   

8.6     User-centricity and involvement

 
8.6.1   Design and develop borrower services and staff efficiencies in concert with other LIS work areas
          to support the college strategic directions
 
Outcome: Circulation services that meet the changing needs of our users; borrower services that utilize new technologies and information trends and respond to user requests/feedback; services that utilize systems efficiencies and web based access

 

Possible actions: notices via mobile devices; self-services; site visits; reading/discussion groups; distribution of equipment pool across branches; improve user documentation on web pages; develop custom hold slips and explore use of receipt printers to reduce paper use; enhance web reserve requests; revise recall policy; explore alternatives to Docutek for electronic reserves; develop/evaluate skills necessary to accommodate shift to digital collections

Date: June 09

  

8.6.2     Increase use of self-check machine at Main for routine check-out of books

   

Outcome: self-check use increased by 25%

Possible actions: signage; location; staff promotion/encouragement

Date: June 09

   

9. Compliance - Work that we need to do to stay up with the ever-changing legal requirements surrounding information and technology.

 
9.1     Synthesize practices and promote copyright awareness in response to August 2009 federal
          legislation regarding filesharing

   

Actions: Utilize various print and web communications vehicles to notify community of potential illegality of P2P music/video filesharing; document efforts and report to Kim Downs (or whoever College designates as point-person for compliance in order to receive federal funds)

   

Outcomes: compliance with the law

People/Groups: Policy Advisor; Dean of Students and C-CAL offices; Campus newspaper;

Date: commencing Sept 2008 and ongoing; goal of major news release or communications every 2 months.

   

9.2     Work with Controllers' office on PCI/Credit-Card security

   

Actions: Develop and administer survey of staff members handling physical or online credit card transactions; develop guidelines/procedures for proper handling and distribute to staff; review with S I staff online system security for credit card transactions

 

Outcomes: Full staff (incl. student employees) awareness of risks and responsibilities in handling credit card transactions

People/Groups: Policy Advisor; S I; Controllers' Office; affected departments staff members across campus offices and sales points Date: Fall/Winter 2008-09

 
9.3     Implement data/records retention policy and periods; seek formal approval; work with
          HR/Controller/others in defining record retention periods

   

Actions: Write data/records retention policy and circulate for review/approval; suggest models for defining data/records periods.

   

Outcomes: Formally adopted policy; data retention records retention periods defined for Midd and MIIS; departments utilize standards in reviewing physical files and when scanning documents to link to Banner records (Xtender)

   

People/Groups: Policy Advisor; Controller HR offices

Date: Fall 2009

   

9.4     Develop ability to deliver licensed applications on demand, anywhere, anytime

   

Actions/milestones: Roll out Thin Client Pilot Project to selected areas; explore other delivery options for licensed software.

People/areas involved: central sys, lab support

Date: April 2009
 
9.5     Continue to work with the Controllers office on cell phone policy changes that address personal
          use tax issues

   

Actions/milestones: Confirmation of new cell phone policy. Provide consultation for new policy; if stipend program, organize transfer of cell devices from business to personal use; if another policy, provide required support.

   

People/areas involved: VP for administration and finance, tel serv, controller’s staff

Date: June 2009

   

10. Internal Efficiency - Having to do with looking at how we do our work within LIS, including workflows, processes, policies, and procedures.

 

10.1     Redefine the major areas of this division to ensure that the organization is structured effectively
            to support the work that we do. This will include planning for the creation of cross-functional
            teams.

   

Actions: We are doing SWOT (strength, weakness, opportunity, threat) analyses for each of our areas and workgroups, soliciting ideas for new teams, surveying our peer institutions, consulting with our advisory groups, as a means of collecting as much input as possible during this process.

   

Outcome: A new organizational structure for LIS.

People/Areas Involved: All of LIS, and input from the rest of campus through our advisory groups.

Date: Project kicked off in September 2008, and to complete by January 2009.

   

More information can be found at <a href="http://blogs.middlebury.edu/list/2008/09/26/lis-re-org-update-sept-2008/">http://blogs.middlebury.edu/list/2008/09/26/lis-re-org-update-sept-2008/</a>

 
10.2     Create a project directory to improve communication about projects within the organization, and
            to our constituents

   

Actions: Create an advisory group, pick a platform (likely to be a wiki), develop templates and a taxonomy, train people in how to use it, develop a plan for maintenance.

   

Outcome: A directory that will contain all present, planned, and possible LIS projects as a means of understanding what our commitments are, resource and budget planning, and communicating with our partners on projects.

   

People/Areas Involved: All of LIS.

Date: Launch project in Winter of 2009, with goal of having operational by mid-Spring

   

10.3     Create a student advisory group

   

Actions: Work with various offices on campus to identify students interested in participating in on-going dialogues about LIS services as a means both of receiving feedback, and for planning for new or revised services.

   

Outcome: A regular meeting of this advisory group, that will in turn develop its own agenda in terms of feedback and input mechanisms for use in our planning efforts.

   

People/Areas Involved: SGA, other students, LIS

Date: recruit in the fall, with goal of first meeting in early December 2008.

   

10.4     Review and revise internal acquisitions procedures

   

Actions:

   

a) Review workflow for ordering requests from printed catalogs

b) Revise online form for acquisitions requests (partially accomplished, waiting for upgrade to KeySurvey)

c) identify appropriate balance spending between one-time continuing purchases

   

Outcomes:

   

a) More efficient ordering of materials from printed catalogs; clear understanding among selectors as to the information acquisitions needs to efficiently place orders

b) Easier to use online form

   

People/Groups involved: Acquisitions; Collection Development

Date: June 09

   

10.5     Continue to add primary vendors to electronic ordering and invoicing process

   

Actions:

   

a) Set up electronic invoicing and OCLC Cataloging Partners (formerly PromptCat) batchloading of records for Harrassowitz MLSC firm orders;

b) Create documentation for OCLC Cataloging Partners procedures

   

Outcome: Improved ease of ordering from these vendors

People/Groups involved: Acquisitions; Cataloging

Date: June 09

   

10.6     Implement III ERM module

   

Actions:

   

a) Determine what license information for electronic resources should be promulgated to users

b) Develop coding, controlled vocabulary, and access rights for making this available through ERM

c) Collect necessary information for above from licenses on hand and/or from vendors) Investigate and implement fuller uses of
    Resource and Contact records) Investigate links to order records and statistics

   

Outcome: Functioning ERM module populated with accurate and up-to-date information about our electronic resources.

People/Groups involved: Acquisitions, Library Systems

Date: June 09
 
10.7     Evaluate cost-effectiveness of copyright annual license; develop best methodology for posting
            course readings in light of copyright considerations

 

Actions: Re-assess cost-benefits of Copyright Clearance Center academic license in light of likely cost doubling; examine use of license in workflow of EReserve operation web course pages College Store course packs; consider alternative workflows (e.g., Cornell model of all course readings go to course pages, or Grinnell model of postings only on EReserve) and impact on staff/faculty

   

Outcomes: Develop cost-benefit model of course packs/reprographics printing of articles cf. PDFs in light of license costs, print management, etc.

   

People/Groups: Reserves Circulation staff (Midd MIIS); Coll. Mgmt. (metadata, descriptive input); Curricular/Web technologies; College Store; faculty

   

Date: Winter 2009

       

10.8     Enhance solicitation and deposit of materials in institutional digital repository

   

Actions:

   

a) Implement plans for deposit of student publications (print to digital; born-digital) and major institutional department archival
    materials;

b) amend current documentation provided to College units for retention of archival print materials to include digital files

c) enhance collection/processing of senior theses and other documents via web

   

Outcomes: increase campus awareness of archiving materials; make procedures easy to follow (web-based)

People/Groups: IR Working Group; Reprographics

Date: Winter-Spring 2009

 
10.9     Develop a proposal for staffing plan; LIS services, circulation workflows for Davison Library
           during BLSE and BLWC Summer 08

 

Outcome: Comprehensive LIS services provided to Bread Loaf School of English and Writers' Conference community

 

Possible actions: outreach to BLSE/WC offices; add Davison pick-up location for NExpress; develop policies that facilitate efficient workflows and accurate records and effective stewardship of collections

 

Date: April 09
 
10.10     STANDARDIZATION of policies and approaches to various Help Desk functions and tasks:
             Communications. Change Managemeni. Process: Call-Center, Walk-in Center, Service Centeriv.
             Role of Student Consultants - including expectations privileges, Code of Conduct

   

Outcome : Consistency and standardization within Help Desk process, approach to need and resolution of incidents/requests/questions.1. Reduce effort and costs associated with tasks2. Clear and concise message, communication and understanding within Help Desk and external to Help Desk.

   

People/Areas involved: All Help Desk Staff members, all students involved with Help Desk.

   

Date: Completion dates as follows: Identification / Inventory of applicable areas of focus: December 12, 2008 - Milestone 1 – Code of Conduct: November 29, 2008- Milestone 2 – Communication standards complete: December 12, 2008 - Milestone 3 – Change Management standards complete: December 19, 2008 - Milestone 4 – Process: CC, WI, SR complete: December 19, 2008 - Milestone 5 – Role of Student Consultants: December 31, 2008Goal Completed: December 31, 2008

 

10.11     CENTRAL REPOSITORY of Help Desk Services administrative and procedural documentation
              (Internal). This central repository should be accessible by entire Middlebury community.

   

Outcome: Consistent and standard location to seek-out, update, and review pertinent internal LIS Help Desk documentation, policy, procedure, and guidelines.

   

People/Areas involved: Internal LIS Help Desk staff

 Date: Goal Completed: January 30, 2008
 
10.12     REVIEW incident tracking system and process within Help Desk. Determine feasibility to
             continue with HEAT versus another enterprise tool. Review and analyze workflows (internal
             external customers) for incident tracking for the purpose of finding efficiencies and streamlining
             tasks.

 

Outcome:

 

Answering the question: Are we utilizing and exploiting the available tools for incident tracking at present? Answering the question: Is our approach and workflow for internal and external customers efficient?

Identify waste and eliminate

Identify areas for improvement and implement changes toward that end…

Improve customer experience

   

People/Areas involved: Internal LIS Help Desk staff; external LIS customers

 

Date: - Review HEAT workflows Complete: December 14, 2008 - Review End-User needs for system Complete: December 31, 2008 - Review/Evaluate alternative products Complete: December 31, 2008 - Evaluate changes Test (2 months) Complete: January 30, 2009 - Implement applicable change(s) Complete: March, 2009 - Monitor changes / improvement plan Complete: March, 2009 – on-going

Goal Completed: March, 2009

 

10.13     Maintain instances of curricular systems (Segue, WordPress, Measure, MediaWiki, Concerto,
             StudyDB)

   

Actions/milestones:

   

• Update applications as needed

• Add plugins as needed

   

People/areas involved: Alex Chapin, Adam Franco, Joe Antonioli

Date: ongoing

   

10.14     Define development and implementation workflow

   

Actions/milestones:

   

• Document current development and implementation workflow

• Compare Academic and Administrative Technologies development and implementation workflow procedures

• Collaborate with Administrative Technologies groups to define common development and implementation workflow practices

   

People/areas involved: Alex Chapin, Adam Franco

Date: ongoing

   

10.15     User-centricity and involvement

 

            10.15.1     SERVICE LEVEL AGREEMENTS (SLAs) between Help Desk Services group and all
                            appropriate LIS counterpart groups. This goal includes the creation and maintenance
                            of a primary contact matrix of key stakeholders within those areas; and posted in a
                            centrally accessible location where the SLAs will reside.

   

                Outcome: Build partnerships, establish protocols, and set expectations between appropriate LIS groups and external
                customer entities.

   

                People/Areas involved: All Help Desk Staff members; all students involved with Help Desk; Department Heads and Group
                Managers (and associated staff).

   

                Date: - Identify Departments and contacts for SLA by: January 30, 2009- Meet with all applicable department contacts to
                discuss agreement content/protocols: March 31, 2009 - Final Draft for All applicable Departments April 30, 2009-
                Maintenance Plan for SLAs April 30, 2009- Roll-out to LIS – All SLAs May 1, 2009 - ongoing

   

                Goal Completed: May 01, 2008
 
            10.15.2     Develop and implement single image for all commonly used manufacturers and types
                                   of computers distributed by LIS. a. 1 image can be used on all Dell desktops. 1 image
                            can be used on all Dell laptops. 1 image can be used on all Apple desktops. 1 image can
                            be used on all Apple laptops

   

                    Outcome:Improve the level of support to our users. Reduce staff workload in trying to maintain 8+ images. Create
               standardization and assist in automating the distribution process further.

   

               People/Areas Involved: Media Services, Helpdesk, and Network/Infrastructure

               Date: March 09

   
            10.15.3     Reduce current configuration and setup of distributed computers from 1 hour to 30
                            minutes

 

                Outcome: Improve efficiency in distribution process to faculty and staff. Free staff time to focus computer support issues.

                People/Areas Involved: Helpdesk

                Date: June 09
 
            10.15.4     Remotely manage 100% of desktop and laptop computers that are connected to the
                            network.

   

                Outcome: Improve ability to support user requests for software installation or computer help. Improve efficiency of
                computer support staff to resolve issues for users.

   

                People/Areas Involved: Helpdesk and Network/Infrastructure

                Date: June 09
 

11. Planning and Assessment - Examining how well we are doing in our operations, and thinking about the future of LIS and how we can support the goals of the College.  

 

11.1     Preservation assessment

   

Actions:

 

a)     Review current practices regarding media preservation
b)     Begin preservation survey for periodicals to withdraw or reformat embrittled paper items in tandem with JSTOR periodical
        withdrawal project
 
Outcomes:

 

a)     Consistent best practices and procedures for media preservation
b)     Identification of embrittled print periodicals, especially valuable unique holdings that might be worthy of scanning

   

People/Groups involved: P P; Media Resources Development Coordinator

Date: June 09

   

11.2     Gather Collection Development Assessment Tools

   

Actions: Investigate use of 3rd-party tools such as OCLC Collection Analysis and/or Serials Solutions 360 Counter to monitor use of the collection, determine areas of strength and weakness, and possibly set the stage for further collaborative efforts (e.g. NExpress, WALDO, ConnectNY). Identify (and refine) standard reports needed to make collection assessment comprehensive and routine.

   

Outcomes: Create an action plan for collection assessment (that may rely on new tools) and develop a (rudimentary) dashboard/clearinghouse in which access to statistics of all kinds is established.

   

People/Groups involved: Collection Development (acquisitions and systems are welcome)

Date: June 09

   
11.3     Usability study for NExpress/ILL

   

Actions: Examine ILL patron usage, especially ordering practices, via a survey of current ILL/NExpress users and non-users. For example: What works, what doesn’t? In what ways can we make the requesting process a simpler and smoother patron experience? What points of confusion exist for patrons? How did they learn about ILL/NExpress? What do they wish worked better/differently?

   

Outcomes: Change web links to better direct usage, review of Web page design; consider patron alert methods, e-mail notification design, RSS feeds. Revisions to workflow or processing procedures; increased ordering automation, additional training or instructional materials.

   

People/Groups involved: ILL, Reference and Instruction

Date: June 09

     

11.4     Determine appropriate level of 3rd-party processing (e.g., authority control) for bulk-loaded
            MARC records (e.g. U.S. Serials set)

   

Actions:

   

Review of the costs of processing vs. assumed/actual benefits of processing

Investigation of acceptable alternatives to full processing, including benefits/risks

Specific determination on appropriate next-steps for U.S. Serials Set


   

Outcomes: Determination of the appropriate level of processing for bulk-loaded collections; appropriate monies budgeted for necessary processing (i.e., either full or acceptable alternative) at time of purchase; closure on appropriate disposition of U.S. Serials Set records

   

People/Groups involved: primarily Acquisitions; Cataloging; Collection Development; Library Systems
Date: June 09
 
11.5     Develop reliable and accurate measurements at circulation service points to document activity
           and quality of services.

   

Outcome: Able to measure goals/achievements, improvements and effectiveness of services; able to assess services and staffing patterns based on activity; utilize reports and statistics that accurately measure quality and quantity of services; able to provide stats that accurately reflect activity and staffing levels/schedules at all circ service points.

   

Possible actions: review and revise current processes; workshops; policies that promote consistent, accurate gathering and recording of numbers and observations.

   

Date: June 09

   

11.6     Analyze Segue and Concerto usage

   

Actions/milestones:

   

• Define important usage parameters for analysis

• Develop reporting functions to run usage queries

• Integrate reporting functions into Segue administrative user interface

• Collaborate with others to create a user community survey

   

People/areas involved: Alex Chapin, Adam Franco

Date: February 2009
 
12. Staff and Organizational Development - Activities to promote an agile organization that ev  
 
12.1     Introduce CM staff to new topics in library and information technology; spread awareness of
            various efforts here at Middlebury within the realm of digital and educational technology
            initiatives

   

Possible Actions:

   

a)     Institute a series of workshops, etc., dedicated to this; develop a schedule; invite speakers; set topics; solicit feedback

b)     encourage staff to develop professional skills by attending workshops, classes, and conferences whenever budgetarily feasible;

c)     share interesting conference report with CM staff, being careful to limit such reports to highly relevant and/or interesting
        material; place reports in an easily accessible location (e.g. blog) to allow comments and discussion) develop staff expertise
        with Segue, Concerto, CMS

   

Outcomes: Broader awareness of what's happening in the larger library world and the larger LIS environment at Middlebury; introduction of staff to new skills or new needs; improvement in current skills; ability to handle wider-range of tasks

   

People/Groups involved: entire area; Area Director; others in LIS; off-campus presenters

Date: June 09
 
12.2     With others in LIS, develop a plan to provide comprehensive, consistent, ongoing training for
            staff and students at service points.

   

Actions:

   

  • Review with Service Point Managers and personnel how training is done, what is taught, what is expected.
  • Collaborate with Service Point Managers to define a program for ongoing training and updates.
  • Set up Refblog or another application for service point staff to find answers and help answering a basic set of questions.
  • Offer training in research resources and interview techniques to service point staff.

 

Outcome:

 

  • Better service to Library users who receive help quickly.
  • Consistent level of service across the organization.

 

People/Area Involved: Research Instruction, Operations, Public Service Points in LIS

Date: March 15, plan written.  

 
12.3     Develop a strategy to train student assistants to work with Reference Librarians in offering in
            person and, perhaps, virtual help to Library Users at Reference and Information Desks

   

Actions:

   

  • Review programs at other libraries using students to augment professional staff.
  • Conduct literature review.
  • Review successful local models, e.g., CTLR and DMT programs.

   

Outcome: Write a plan to test and, if successful, to implement at a later date a student staffing plan which would augment and extend Reference and Information service.

   

People/Area Involved: Reference Librarians.

Date: February 1, plan written and ready to test.  
 
12.4     Develop regular schedule and content for student training; increase staff supervision skills;
            increase ability of student workers to work independently utilizing good judgment; formalize and
            improve consistency of documentation, supervision and training by Circ supervisors; consistent
            expectations and knowledge base of student workers and supervisors across all branches.

   

Outcome: Reduced rate of staff intervention and monitoring of routine desk activity; increased staff self-confidence by developing supervisory tools and skills; increased customer confidence; as measured by staff assessment.

   

Possible actions: student training meetings; SEO workshop for supervisors; collaborate with SEO on development of student policies; student policies, procedures and expectations on wiki; shared development and access to procedures for supervision; web based toolbox for supporting small group and 1:1 training; review student levels; review student log-in permissions; cross-training and staff rotation program; staff survey.

   

Date: June 09

   

12.5     Increase opportunity for collaboration and communication with Public Safety

   

Outcome: Foster good working relationship with PS Officers

Possible actions: meet with Head of PS; plan a joint workshop with HR; Circ open house

Date: March 09  

 
12.6     Create effective schedule of Circ meetings and paths of communication within workgroup

   

Outcome: Effective meetings; well attended; active participation; all members of the team utilize blogs for communication and wiki for documentation; opportunity for staying informed

   

Possible Actions: Read GTD; HR workshop on communication; blog and wiki workshops

Date: March 09


Powered by MediaWiki