Anti-Virus Solutions for Personal Use
Middlebury ITS strongly recommends the use of anti-virus software on personal computers. A few of the more reputable, freely available, anti-virus solutions include:
- Windows Defender is included with Windows 10 and is enabled by default.
- Sophos Home is available for Windows and Mac devices. Sophos Home offers Web Filtering technology designed to “block sites that may contain inappropriate content or malicious software.”
- MalwareBytes is available for Windows and Mac devices. MalwareBytes is widely noted for its adware removal capabilities.
While other free anti-virus solutions exist, please be careful when downloading free software. Always download software from a trusted source, preferably directly from the software provider. Fake anti-virus software is not unheard of, and it is not uncommon common for free software distributed from “download sites” to come bundled with unwanted software like adware.
Please note that Middlebury provides managed anti-virus software for college-owned computers. The free solutions listed above are for personally-owned devices. Please contact the ITS Help Desk if you have questions about anti-virus software on your Middlebury-provided computer.
- Middlebury ITS does not explicitly endorse or provide technical support for the security tools described herein.
- Anti-virus software remains a strongly recommended tool to protect your personal computing devices from unwanted software. While anti-virus software may not provide perfect security, it is still capable of defending against unwanted and malicious applications.
- Middlebury ITS recommends that anti-virus software be installed on all computers connecting to the Middlebury network or services, either from campus locations or from off campus.