Assigning a LIS liaison to a department/program
This is a description for LIS staff of the steps that need to be followed when assigning a new LIS liaison.
The role of LIS Liaisons is explained to researchers (faculty/students/staff) on the Liaisons to Academic Departments page.
Each academic department and program will have an LIS Liaison. A list of liaisons can be found at Liaisons by Department. In general, due to the potential for overlap, departments and programs will have an LIS Liaison, but minors will not. Liaisons are assigned by the leader of the LIS Liaison Program, in consultation with others. Here are the steps that should be followed when a new liaison assignment is made:
- Is this just primary liaison? Do we need to assign/reassign liaison team members, too?
- Is the new liaison already familiar with the liaison role because of other liaison assignments? If not, new liaison meets with leader of liaison program for training, orientation and discussion.
- Update go/liaisons (list and spreadsheet)
- Former liaison (if there is one) and new liaison meet. Former liaison gives new liaison overview of department history. For example: What types of help do the faculty need? What are the major resources and tools? Any special issues regarding LIS relations to be aware of? What kinds of outreach have/not been successful? Do students contribute senior theses to the library? How often do you include department heads and department coordinators in communication with individual (new?) faculty members? etc.
- New (primary) liaison assignment is announced to department, either by leader of Liaison Program or by former liaison.
- New (primary) liaison contacts department
- Alert other liaisons, Rebekah Irwin (who will forward to CM staff), Mary Backus, Lisa Terrier, Rachel Manning.
- Update any subject guides
- Update go/lisadvisors
- Update departmental resource pages (eg, Biology Department: Library and Information Services)
- Add (primary) liaison to rotation for liaison meetings: notes and timekeeper role.
- Add liaison to Liaisons Blog, LIS Liaisons Outlook list. Give access to Liaisons folder on middfiles.