If no appropriate record can be found for an item, or if an item is wanted for reserve or for a patron's use sooner than appropriate cataloging can be done:
- Create brief bib record (if none exists)
- Add call number to bib record: 099 Backlog-in Process 00/08 (the date is in mo/yr format)
- Do not assign "Cat Date"
- Create item record and attach barcode
- Location should be m (Do not make location CatDept)
Exception: Music Backlog items have backroom location.
- Status should be C (Backlog in Cat)
- Add message to item record: "Item not yet cataloged; return to Cataloging".
- Put a "0 OCLC" flag in the item with a date (mo/yr) and initials of the cataloger. Do not use "No record in catalog" flag.
- Shelve in alphabetical order by title on backlog shelf. (Separate backlog shelves are kept for AV and in Music)
- If item is to be checked out or put on reserve:
- Put note in book: "P&P: spine label: Middlebury College." If for reserve, add to note: "Reserves will assign Cat call no."