Computing Lab Assistant
PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION
This page is here for reference as to how to be the best Computing Lab Assistant possible.
- Lab Rounds
- A key element of the CLA position, lab rounds must be done thoroughly. The goal is to make sure that everything in the computer lab works the way it is supposed to. All of the computers should start up, and reach a login screen.
- The computers should also be able to login to your account. If this is the problem, first check the ethernet connection to the machine and the wall. If that is secure, then restart the machine, (give the computer a hard restart by holding down on the power button until the machine loses power), and see if that fixes the problem. Sometimes several restarts will solve the issue, this is especially true of thin client machines. When in doubt, restart.
- When the problem appears more serious, such as a blue screen error, you may need to open it up and check to make sure all the hardware components, such as the RAM and Hard drive, are properly ad securely in place. For help navigating the interior of desktop computers, see below. Refer to the following document for more solutions.
Dell support on blue screen errors: Crashes
- Paper Jams
- In case of a paper jam, follow the on screen instructions given by the printer, if any. The printer may be able to tell you which door to open to locate the jam. When the cause of the jam is located, take care in removing the jam. Grip the paper as firmly and pull with an evenly distributed force to avoid tearing the paper. Watch out for ink/toner that may be on the inside of the printer. Re-test the printer to see whether or not the jam is a recurring issue. If so, you may need to contact a SymQuest technician.
More help with paper jams: Paper Jams
- Ink/Toner Cartridges
- Generally, there will be fairly detailed instructions on how to replace ink and toner cartridges included with the replacement cartridges. Generally this involves opening the appropriate printer door and removing the old cartridge. On smaller hp model printers, this door is generally on the top of the printer, and hinges upward. On larger floor models, this door can be located on one of the sides. Be very aware that there will be ink on the old cartridge. Be careful when removing, the ink ruins clothes. Securely seal the old cartridge in the bag and have it recycled.
- Networking Issues
- If the error appears to be on the network end, double check by printing from different computers. If the problem persists, report the issue to LPC (Lab and Public Computing) and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Installing memory into Macintosh computers: [[media:memory_mac.pdf|Mac Memory]
- Opening Dell Computers
- Some newer models can be opened by a clearly visible lever on the side, other older models have a tab with a lock symbol that must be pulled. Once the machine is open, the various blue tabs will guide you as to how to remove and re-insert various hardware components.
- Need help editing the wiki?
- lynda.com Videos
- For making calls outisde of the middlebury phone network, dial 9 before the rest of the number. The helpdesk's number is x2200.