Configuring Older Dell Wireless Cards for midd secure
In order to use the Dell Truemobile 1150 wireless cards with midd_secure, you will need to update the drivers and the wireless client manager, which can be found on Dell's website http://support.dell.com
You'll have to install the client manager first (run the executible and keep clicking OK), then upgrade the drivers. There is an HTML file that opens automatically once you install the drivers, this walks you through the driver update process. When you update the driver you will be prompted to create a wireless profile it's easiest to skip this step and just leave the Default profile as the only profile.
Once the drivers are updated, open the network connection control panel and right-click on the wireless card and select Properties. Configure the authentication tab using the instructions for Windows XP: http://go.middlebury.edu/wireless
TrueMobile 1300, 1350, & 1400
Download the driver & utility update available in single file from: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R83097&formatcnt=1&fileid=109197
- Once the driver software is installed, you should have a new Wireless Card Utility icon in your System Tray, it looks like a graduated series of bars. Right click on the Wireless Card Utility icon and click "Open Utility." If the icon does not appear in your System Tray, go to Start->Programs->Dell TrueMobile and click on the 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card Utility shortcut.
- Make sure that "Enable Radio", "Let this tool manage your wireless settings" and "Show wireless icon in systray" are checked. Click on "midd_secure" in the available networks window, and then click "Configure."
- Make sure that the "Network name (SSID):" is "midd_secure". Click on the dropdown menu for "Network Authentication" and select "802.1X" from the list.
- Your screen should then look like this (with 802.1X and WEP selected). If so, click on the Authentication tab to continue.
- Click the dropdown menu for "EAP Method" and select "LEAP" from the list. NOTE: if you do not see LEAP on the list, go back to the Wireless Network Properties tab, and make sure that "802.1X" is selected for the "Network Authentication."
- With LEAP selected, type your username and password in the boxes provided. Note that you should type your username in the following format: "MIDD\yourusername" and then your password as normal. Once you've entered this information, click "OK"
- midd_secure should now be listed under "Preferred networks." Click OK. Your computer will now connect to the wireless network.
- The Wireless Card Setup icon will turn green, yellow or red, depending on your signal strength.