Configuring Outlook Anywhere Access to Exchange in Outlook 2003
Outlook Anywhere (aka RPC over HTTP) allows you to use the fully-functional Outlook client on any network, anywhere in the world and communicate with Middlebury College’s Exchange servers to send and receive e-mail messages and to manage your calendar, contacts, and tasks. The VPN client is not required!
To configure your computer to use Outlook Anywhere, do the following:
- Start Outlook.
# From the Tools menu select E-mail Accounts. The E‑mail Accounts wizard opens.
- To add a new profile select the Add a new e‑mail account radio button then follow the instructions for adding a profile in the document Configure A Profile In Outlook 2003 On A Windows Computer, making modifications in the procedure to mirror those below.
* To modify an existing profile select the View or change existing e‑mail accounts radio button
- Click [[Image:]].
# In the Microsoft Exchange Server field type panther.middlebury.edu. Your Lastname, Firstname should already appear in the User Name field.
# Click [[Image:]]. The Microsoft Exchange Server dialog box opens.
# Select the Connection tab.
# Click to check the Connect to my Exchange mailbox using HTTP check box.
# Click [[Image:]]. The Exchange Proxy Settings dialog box opens.
# In the Use this URL to connect to my proxy server for Exchange field type mail.middlebury.edu.
- Click to check the check boxes for these selections:
- On fast networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP
* On slow networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP.
* From the Use this authentication when connecting to my proxy server for Exchange drop-down list select NTLM Authentication.
- Click [[Image:]] on the Exchange Proxy Settings dialog box.
# Click [[Image:]] on the Microsoft Exchange Server dialog box.
# Click [[Image:]] on the E-mail Accounts wizard. An authentication dialog box will open.
- In the User name field type your username preceded by MIDD\ (i.e. MIDD\tjones).
# In the Password field type your e-mail password.
# Click [[Image:]].
- Click [[Image:]].
# Click [[Image:]] on the Mail Setup – Default Outlook Profile dialog box.
On subsequent logins to the Exchange server using Outlook the Connect to PANTHER.middlebury.edu dialog box will be displayed. In the User name field type MIDD\your‑username. Login attempts will fail if you do not use MIDD\ in combination with your username.