Middlebury

Difference between revisions of "Course Catalog Meeting Notes 2009-10-01"

(Course Catalog Web Application: department links.)
 
Line 61: Line 61:
 
* Would be good to be able to hide location and schedule information until these are finalized.
 
* Would be good to be able to hide location and schedule information until these are finalized.
 
* Discussion on the pluses and minuses of listing sections taught in a given room.
 
* Discussion on the pluses and minuses of listing sections taught in a given room.
 +
* Department names should probably link to the department homepage rather than to a list of courses in that department.
  
 
= Next Actions =
 
= Next Actions =

Latest revision as of 09:56, 2 October 2009

« Course Catalog

« Previous Meeting (2009-09-07)     Next Meeting (2009-11-05) »

About

This page contains notes for the September 7th, 2009 meeting of the Course Catalog team.

In attendance:

  • Janis Audet
  • Renee Brown
  • Adam Franco
  • LeRoy Graham
  • Jeff Rehbach

Agenda

Launch Timelines

What parts of this need to launch when?

  • The department pages in Drupal need to be operational for the new website launch on Jan 4th.

Archiving

(rolled over from Sept 7th meeting, since time ran out.)

What will be our archiving strategy for "The Catalog". Is a PDF export from Drupal sufficient? An HTML export?

Progress of existing catalog content review

(rolled over from Sept 7th meeting, since time ran out.)

Go over any process questions or other issues that have come up in the review of existing online course-catalog content.

Section population and roll-over

Update on the results of the work-flow and technical investigations since last meeting.

Notes

Progress of existing catalog content review

  • Janis and Bob have had some discussions about the Section I: About Middlebury content. No decision has yet been made about what content will be migrated and what content will be done as links to the handbook. This decision probably lies with the Academic Affairs Committee.
  • LeRoy will bring up this topic with the Academic Affairs Committee to try to work toward a decision.
  • Janis will be the point person for migrating Section I content, but the decision as to what content is migrating lies with the Academic Affairs Committee.
  • Section III: General Information was discovered. Jeff will figure out who owns that content.

Launch Timelines

  • Was mentioned that we need to have everything complete by December 15th.
  • Course descriptions for Fall 2009 courses and Spring 2010 courses will be ready by December 15th.
  • Course descriptions for other semesters cannot be populated (for display in the catalog or department listings) in time for the January 4th launch at current staffing levels. These will be populated when courses get scheduled for upcoming terms.

Archiving

  • PDF sounds nice, but the decision as to if this is sufficient lies with the Academic Affairs Committee.
  • LeRoy will bring up this topic with the Academic Affairs Committee to try to work toward a decision.

Section population and roll-over

  • Due to uncertainty in staffing levels for both coordinators and administrative offices, it is too early to determine what sort of work-flows might be possible.
  • We will launch with Fall 09 and Spring 10 course-descriptions and sections populated, but it is premature to rework the entire work-flow of section population for the future.

Course Catalog Web Application

  • Note that this application seems like a duplication of the course schedule in Banner. How is it different? The Banner view is limitations on browsing and search that cannot be easily improved to enhance the user experience.
  • Would be good to be able to hide location and schedule information until these are finalized.
  • Discussion on the pluses and minuses of listing sections taught in a given room.
  • Department names should probably link to the department homepage rather than to a list of courses in that department.

Next Actions

Adam

  • Continue work on web-application and Drupal

Janis

  • Collect notes from meetings with Bob about Section I content, send to LeRoy

LeRoy

  • Bring up content migration with the Academic Affairs Committee to try to work toward a decision.
  • Bring up archiving with the Academic Affairs Committee to try to work toward a decision.

Jeff

Powered by MediaWiki