Create a New Profile in Outlook
Creating a new Outlook profile can resolve odd issues with Outlook. In addition, creating a new profile allows you to troubleshoot an issue without losing / deleting your previous Outlook configuration.
To create a new Outlook profile:
- Close Outlook (File => Exit)
- Click on the Start menu and click Control Panel -> Mail
- Click Show Profiles and click Add
- The Create New Profile window will appear. Type in a name for your new profile (any name will do) and click OK.
- A window titled Add New E-Mail Account will appear. Click Next and Finish to complete the account setup (this configures your email settings in the new profile).
- Back in the Mail window, click Always use this profile and select your new profile from the list.
- Click OK and Open Outlook (it may take some time for the new profile to retrieve your email).
- If you use any shared accounts you should be sure to turn off cached mode for shared folders as well.
Note: Additional profiles can also be created to directly access other accounts (if you have the appropriate permissions). Here are a few hints that may be useful toward this end:
- At step 3 above, select the option "Prompt for a profile to be used"
- Add... the profile - just like step 4 above
- Select "Manually configure server settings or additional server types" & click "Next"
- select "Microsoft Exchange" for the account type & click "Next"
- enter "mail.middlebury.edu" as the Exchange server, the user name to, click "Check Name" - once account is resolved, click "Next", then "Finish"
- When you open Outlook, choose the profile you need - if prompted for credentials, you may need to enter them as "midd\username" rather than just "username".