Create a new profile
Here is how to create a new profile in Microsoft Outlook. If you are creating a new profile in response to the move to the cloud, it's best not to delete the old one so you can reference the old profile if necessary for e.g. view settings.
Outlook for Windows
- Close Outlook completely.
- Click the Taskbar's magnifying glass to search for, then launch, the Control Panel app.
- In the upper right hand corner, use the Search Control Panel field to search for Mail.
- Click to select Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016).
- In the Mail Setup - Outlook window, click the Show Profiles... button, shown below.
- From the Mail window, click the Add... button then enter a profile name to identify this account. The name only displays in your profile list and can be whatever you'd like to use.
- Windows will automatically take your credentials from your login to set you up with your new email profile. If you are setting this up on a personally-owned device, refer to the Email configuration page for more information.
- Before applying your changes on the Mail window, select the radio button that says Always use this profile, then select your new profile name from the dropdown list so that it is the default when opening Outlook.
Important: If you use shared folders, turn off cached mode for shared folders now to avoid syncing issues. Learn how to do that here.
Accessing Additional Mailboxes From Your Primary Profile
Many people have access to more than one mailbox, such as a shared departmental account or a senior administrator you assist, without knowing the password of the account. Depending on permission levels, these accounts may appear in your Outlook profile on their own, after five or ten minutes.
These instructions explain how to open a shared mailbox from your own account if it does not automatically appear:
- Click File in the top left corner of the Outlook window.
- Click the Account Settings button, then choose Account Settings... from the drop-down list.
- From the Account Settings window, click the Data Files tab then click Settings..., as shown below.
- From the Microsoft Exchange window, click the Advanced tab then click the Add... button.
- Search for the name of the desired account/mailbox, then select it from the list that appears.
- IMPORTANT: Make sure to UNcheck Download shared folders to avoid syncing issues.
- Click OK then Close. Please note that it can take time for the email and other data to display in your account. Syncing progress will display along the bottom of the Outlook window.
Additional Profiles for Direct Access to Other Accounts
Should you need to access other accounts directly (i.e. by entering the username and password), this is how to create additional profiles for those as well. It will prompt you upon opening Outlook to choose which account you wish to access.
- At step 5 above, select the option "Prompt for a profile to be used"
- Select "Add..." as above
- Select "Manually configure server settings or additional server types" and click "Next"
- Select the option outlined below for the account type and click "Next"
- Enter the credentials of the additional account, and enter "mail.middlebury.edu" as the Exchange server, click "Next", then "Finish"
- When you open Outlook, choose the profile you need - if prompted for credentials, you may need to enter them as "midd\username" rather than just "username".
Outlook 2016: Mac
- After opening Outlook, go to the Menu Bar at the top, select Outlook, and then select Preferences.
- In the window that appears, select Accounts
- In the accounts window, you will see the accounts you used to use. These should save your previous emails and information from the time before the Hosted Exchange switch. Select the + button in the lower left hand corner to continue.
- Enter your credentials and click Add Account when you are done. Email address and Username are the same. Make sure you leave "Configure Automatically" checked.
- When your new account is selected, click on the gear across from the + you clicked earlier in the Accounts window to make the new account the default when using Outlook.
- Should you need direct access to any additional accounts, enter them using the same process outlined above.
Accessing Additional Mailboxes From Your Primary Profile (Mac)
- Click Tools in the top ribbon
- Select the "Accounts" button.
- Select your Middlebury email account profile, and click the "Advanced" button.
- Go to the Delegates tab and click the + under "People I am a delegate for".
- Search for your mailboxes, and click on the correct ones based on your key word search.
- Click OK and then close the Accounts window.
Older versions of Outlook
If you have an older version of Outlook, please upgrade to Office 2016. For more information, click here.