Create a new profile
Here is how to create a new profile in Microsoft Outlook. If you are creating a new profile in response to the move to the cloud, do not delete your old one, in order to save all of your old settings, emails, and information.
Outlook 2010/2016: Windows
Note: If you use shared folders, make sure caching is turned off before you begin this process. Learn how to do that here
- From the Start Menu, select the Control Panel.
- In the upper right hand corner, use the "Search Control Panel" function to search "Mail"
- From the results, select "Mail (32 Bit)" or "Mail (64 Bit)" depending on your computer.
- In the window that appears, select "Show Profiles".
- Now, on the new window, select "Add..." and enter the name you wish to be associated with the account.
- Windows will automatically take your credentials from your login to set you up with your new email profile. If you are setting this up on a personal device, refer to the Email configuration page for more information.
- Make sure you select your new profile, and then select the radio button underneath that says "Always use this profile" so that it is the default when opening Outlook.
Should you need to access other accounts, this is how to create additional profiles for those as well.
- At step 5 above, select the option "Prompt for a profile to be used"
- Select "Add..." as above
- Select "Manually configure server settings or additional server types" and click "Next"
- Select the option outlined below for the account type and click "Next"
- Enter the credentials of the additional account, and enter "mail.middlebury.edu" as the Exchange server, click "Next", then "Finish"
- When you open Outlook, choose the profile you need - if prompted for credentials, you may need to enter them as "midd\username" rather than just "username".
Outlook 2011: Mac
Microsoft refers to "profiles" as "identities" for Outlook for Mac users. They have thorough documentation on how to update your "identity" here.
Outlook 2016: Mac
- After opening Outlook, go to the Menu Bar at the top, select Outlook, and then select Preferences.
- In the window that appears, select Accounts
- In the accounts window, you will see the accounts you used to use. These should save your previous emails and information from the time before the Hosted Exchange switch. Select the + button in the lower left hand corner to continue.
- Enter your credentials and click Add Account when you are done. Email address and Username are the same. Make sure you leave "Configure Automatically" checked.
- When your new account is selected, click on the gear across from the + you clicked earlier in the Accounts window to make the new account the default when using Outlook.
- Should you need access to any additional accounts, enter them using the same process outlined above.