What's the fuss about DFS
We have switched campus wide to the new DFS System. The classes and ocelot servers remains intact (for now), and can still be accessed via \\classes\vol1 and \\ocelot\vol1 (on PCs) or smb://classes/classes.vol1 and smb://ocelot/ocelot.vol1 (on Macs).
The default quota was increased from 200MBs on Tigercat to 3GB on middfiles.
Tigercat (the U drive) on PCs
\\tigercat\vol1\users\username is now \\middlebury.edu\middfiles\home\
Tigercat on Macs
smb://tigercat/tigerca.vol1/users/username is now smb://middfiles.middlebury.edu/middfiles/home
Snowleopard (the O drive) on PCs
\\snowleopard\vol1 is now \\middlebury.edu\middfiles\orgs\
Snowleopard on Macs
smb://snowleopard/snow.vol1/ is now smb://middfiles.middlebury.edu/middfiles/orgs
NetStorage has been replaced with https://yogi.middlebury.edu
It is possible to use FTP to access the new file servers. The name of the ftp server is middfiles.middlebury.edu
- A group policy update runs whenever an LIS staff person logs in to a PC computer.
- It might take a reboot or two for the group policy update to be applied.
- If a customer complains that they haven't been prompted to remove the novell client, have them reboot. You can also force the group policy update by clicking Start => Run => gpupdate /force
- When the update is applied, after login, after 1 min, a window appears asking the user to remove the Novell Client
- A reboot is required after removing the Novell Client
- After the reboot, there is no more Novell client and the file servers are mapped automatically by a script (it's invisible).
- Tigercat (our home drive) has been replaced with \\midd\middfiles\home (your new home drive remains mapped at U:\)
- Snowleopard (the "O" drive) has been replaced with \\midd\middfiles\orgs (still mapped at O:\)
- If a user was not using the Novell client, they will need to disconnect their old network drives and map the new ones (they can reuse the drive letters):
- Open My Computer, right-click on tigercat, disconnect
- Tools => Map Network Drive => Drive letter: U => Server is \\midd\middfiles\home
- Disconnect snowleopard. Snowleopard is replaced with \\midd\middfiles\orgs
- NetStorage (go/files) has been replaced with https://yogi.middlebury.edu (seems to work fine and uploading is faster, but it did freeze when I tried searching).
- Mac users will need to use smb://middfiles.middlebury.edu/middfiles
- Upon connecting to smb://middfiles.middlebury.edu/middfiles Mac users will see "home" and "orgs".
- "home" replaces tigercat
- "orgs" replaces snowleopard
The Novell Client has been removed from:
- MNR114 (except computers MUNROE-0635 )
- Warner Lecterns (including: WARNER-202, WARNER-203, WARNER-208, WARNER-506, WARNER-507, WARNER-HEMI)
- Hillcrest room 200, Dana Auditorium (Dana-1113)
- RAJ (incl. lectern computer / teachin station on upper floor)
- Student Laptop Loaners
- Main Library (LIB140 (except computers: LIB140-0391, LIB140-0394), Scanning machines )
- Music Library (all functional ones...)
- Sunderland 50% of each lab (ILC1 (except computers: ILC1-0514, ILC1-0526, ILC1-0508, ILC1-0733)
- Trying to save a file to [NAME A FOLDER] under Orgs [or HOME, or some other folder on a mapped drive], but each time saving the document, the computer crashes (blue screen of death).
Most likely cause:
Novell is still on the computer
- Outlook is slow when attaching files, Excel, Word are slow or freeze when opening or saving files (e.g. File => Open or File => Save.)
Most likely cause:
This can happen if there are disconnected network drives (in My Computer) pointing to novell servers (tigercat, ocelot or snowleopard) that aren't properly disconnected.
Open My Computer, click on Tools => Disconnect Network Drives, then select any drives pointing to tigercat, ocelot or snowleopard, and click OK.
- Open File Security Warning when opening .EXE on middfiles
Add file://*.middlebury.edu to the list in internet explorer under Internet Options->Security->Local Intranet->Sites->Advanced