Difference between revisions of "DFS Servers"
Revision as of 16:03, 6 July 2009
Files on a server are not visible
- Problem: Files on a server are not visible when connected using a Mapped Network Drive, but were visible when using a Mac. Most likely, all the files are there, but the Windows Explorer cannot see them because of an illegal file name.
- Cause: Incompatible characters in the name of a file or multiple files. Windows Explorer may be unable to read files that have accented letters in their name, or have one or more of these characters:
\ / : * ? " < > |
- Access the folder in question from a Mac and remove any illegal characters from the filenames. One invalid file name could make an entire folder to appear blank.
- Try accessing the folder using NetStorage http://go.middlebury.edu/files - you might be able tot remove the invalid characters.
- List of invalid/illegal characters in file names:
\ / : * ? " < > | Accented characters of certain encoding.
Recovering Files From a DFS Server Using Windows Explorer on a PC
Changing Folder Permissions on DFS Servers