Davison Library Manual
Davison Desk Daily Tasks
Davison Desk Phone extension is x2740.
- Checklist for every shift
Morning, Afternoon and Evening
- First shift of the day: Log onto computer, Millennium, Outlook etc.
- Check box for "Book Check Out Forms" and check items out to patrons
- Check in returned books on cart
- Shelve all returned books (both regular stacks and reserves)
- Check your email for messages and respond as needed. All staff scheduled at Davison have been added to a distribution list to facilitate communication. Please check for work-related messages when you are scheduled at the desk.
- Tidy/troubleshoot hold shelf: alphabetical by borrower last name; make sure hold slips match item; one slip per item
- Clear hold shelf: remove and check in any items that have been on hold 7 or more days
- Bin from Davis Family Library: unpack and shelve requests alpha by borrower; unpack and shelve reserve materials on reserve shelves
- Bin to Davis Family Library: place all returns in bin for delivery back to main campus; check that all items have been checked in; check that no Davison reserve books are in bin
- Shelf read reserve shelf: see clipboard for details
- Refill paper in printer and copy machine; check supplies etc.
- Set out newspapers; sort and tidy newspapers
- Lock desk computer before going to lunch or dinner and place signage and box on desk
- If chilly, bring in wood and start a fire
- Last shift of the day – Log off Millennium; Shut down computer; place signage and box on desk
Starting the Staff Computer at Davison Library
Double click Millennium Icon on desktop to activate the Millennium Circulation Module
Log on to Millennium:
To override in Millennium: Note! Always read the override message carefully before overriding – the system is trying to tell you something important – please alert Circulation to any messages that you do not understand.
FYI: Supervisor Log in for Millennium
Starting the four computers on Main floor of Davison
Username: breadloaf No password – leave blank
Staying in touch
Email: Copy the "Davison Desk Staff" distribution list on ALL emails re: Davison (updates, queries, sub requests, etc). The core Davison Library staff will receive these emails. Also, the "Library Circulation Services" mailbox will also receive these emails—this mailbox is checked by the Circ supervisor on duty at the Davis Family Library.
The "Davison Desk" calendar is in Outlook. Please consult it for the most up-to-date scheduling information.
Circ staff use the Circulation Services blog to post updates related to the Circ desks at all branches. The blog is searchable and can be sorted by tags such as "BLSE"
Accessing Outlook and Calendars on the Davison Circ Desk computer
Option 1) When logged in as breadloaf, open Internet Explorer (you must use Internet Explorer) and login to Webmail. When you use Webmail with Internet Explorer you get almost all of Outlook’s options, including Calendar, Public Folders, and access to other mailboxes. If you’re not sure how to access any of these options, please call the Helpdesk and we can walk you through accessing what you need through Webmail on Internet Explorer.
Option 2) Anyone needing access to Outlook on this computer will need to logout of the breadloaf account (Start => Log off), then at the login screen login with your own Middlebury College username. Outlook is then available next to the Start menu, and on the start menu => programs => Microsoft Office. If, when you login as yourself, Outlook complains about the server being unavailable, please call the Helpdesk and ask us to guide you through creating a new Outlook profile.
Accessing the shared BLSE Circulation folder
O drive "middfiles" ->ORGS folder
->Circulation Services folder -> Summer – BL and LS folder -> Breadloaf School of English folder
To activate your College email account
1. Type go/activate into your web browser and press enter
2. In the ID field type your 8-digit College ID number (using leading zeros to complete 8 digits)
3. In the PIN field type your 6-digit birth date in MMDDYY format. If you’ve logged into Banner Web in the past (for grades, financial aid), then you need to type the 6-digit PIN number you created previously.
4. You will be given your username; follow the instructions on the screen to create your new password
To forward email to an alternate email provider
1. Type go/forward into your web browser and press enter
2. Enter your College email username and password
3. Type the email address that your mail should be forwarded to (Breadnet, Yahoo, etc.) and click "Make Changes" button
Please contact the Middlebury College Helpdesk at 802-443-2200 with questions about ID numbers and PIN numbers
Requesting Library Materials via MIDCAT
1. Type go/midcat in browser
2. Select "My MIDCAT" on the top left of screen
- Type username and password (must activate College email first if you haven't already)
- Click "Submit"
3. Click the “Search Catalog” button on the right side of the page
- Locate item for request by doing an author, title, keyword, etc. search
- Once you’ve found the item, click either the “Request this title” link on the left side of the listing, or the “Request” button at the top of the page
4. Choose the pick up location from the drop down menu: “Davison Library (Bread Loaf)”
- Click the “Submit” button at the bottom of the page
- You will then see a message that your request was successful
5. To request another item, click the “Regular Display” button to return to the catalog
- If you are finished, please click the “Log Out” button on the top of the page
Requesting Library Materials via NExpress
-for items either not owned by the College, or checked out to other borrowers
1. In the “Library Quick Search” box (on the go/library page):
- Locate item for request by doing an author, title, keyword, etc. search
- If you are not able to locate the item, or if the item is owned by the College but checked out, click the “Search in NExpress” button on the right side of the page
- The collections at all NExpress libraries are searched, and a list of title or author options based on your request are displayed--please click on the item you need
- Then click “Request this item” link
2. You are asked “With which institution are you affiliated?”
- Select “Middlebury College” from the drop down menu and click “Submit above information” button
- Type your username and password, and select “Davison Library-Bread Loaf” as pick-up location
- A message that your request was successful will appear
3. To continue searching in NExpress, click the “Start Over” button
- If you are finished, please close the window and return to your MIDCAT window. Continue to search the Middlebury collection in MIDCAT, or choose the “Logout” button to completely log out
4. You will receive an email when your requested material has been delivered to the Davison Library
Requesting Library Materials via ILL
-if an item is not owned by the College, and not available via NExpress
1. Type go/ill in your browser for the “Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)” homepage
- Type user name and password
- Click “Logon to ILLiad”
2. Select an option under “New Request” on left side of page
- Complete as much information as you can and click “Submit Request” button
- When completing the “User Information” section, please select “Davison Library” as the Delivery Site
3. You will receive an email when your requested material has been delivered to the Davison Library
Finding Book Reserves
1. Select the Reserves tab on the “Library Quick Search” box 2. Select “Search by Instructor Name” 3. Type the last name of the faculty member 4. If more than one course is listed, select appropriate course 5. The reserve list will appear in alphabetical order by book title. If desired, the buttons above the columns can sort the list alphabetically by author last name or call number.
Finding Electronic Reserves (E-Res)
1. Select the Reserves tab on the “Library Quick Search” box 2. Select “Find electronic reserve readings - ERes” 3. Select first link: “Electronic Reserves & Reserves Pages” 4. Select the “Course Reserves Pages by Department” tab
- Select “Bread Loaf” from the drop down menu and click “Search”
5. Click on the “Course Number” and enter the course password
- The course password is the course number (example: 7550) added to the number 1001, followed by the first and last initials of the professor (example: je for John Elder). So, 8551je.
6. All documents for the course will be listed. Click on the title and then click on the file name (or web link) to display the document
Requesting Items for Reserve (for faculty)
1. Locate item in MIDCAT 2. Click on “Put on reserve” icon on the right side of the page 3. Complete form (be sure to select “Davison” location in pull-down menu) 4. Click submit
Materials will be processed at the Davis Family Library, and sent in the bin to Davison. Requesting Items for electronic reserves (for faculty)
1. Complete Eres copyright permission form (found on go/reserves page) 2. Attach photocopies of materials 3. Davison staff will send requests to Davis Family Library in courier bin 4. Materials will be processed ASAP at Main 5. Faculty will be notified of Eres passwords by email. 6. Questions? Contact email@example.com
Instructions for Receiving Bins at Davison - Incoming
1. When a bin arrives at Davison, unpack and check in each item in Millennium. Print a hold slip for Middlebury and ILL items and fold lengthwise, then insert into item.
2. NExpress items must be checked in by typing a "b" in the check-in field before scanning the barcode. These items will not generate a hold slip.
3. Shelve on Davison Holdshelf - alphabetical by borrower's last name – spine facing the back of the shelf – borrower name visible from the desk
4. Use rubber bands to bundle together items for the same borrower
5. Books that belong in the general collection at Davison will have their "in transit" status cleared and will then be ready for re-shelving. Reserve items will also be sent in the bin, and will have a dot on the spine label. Check in to clear "in transit" status and shelve in Reserves area.
Instructions for Sending Bins to the Davis Family Library - Outgoing
1. When you check in an item at Davison that belongs at the Davis Family Library, make sure the status changes to "in transit." You do not need to print the transit slip. Place item in the outgoing bin
2. Please pack the books in the bin carefully. Spine to spine is the way the books should travel to minimize damage to the pages
3. Do not send Davison Reserve items back to Davis Family Library
How to enter a patron record in Millennium
File -> New Patron
Set expiration date (9/1/2010)
Enter Patron type 160 (BLSE)
Enter Name (Last name, First name)
Enter email address
Swipe College ID card (or type in College ID number)
Then click "Save/Close" button on top
Close out of record and swipe/type College ID to make sure it works