Distributing Windows Computers
NOTE: This page contains information that is only useful to Helpdesk / LIS faculty and staff. Therefore I'm considering moving this information to our Internal wiki. If you feel that this information is important to the general public and/or do NOT think that this move is appropriate, please comment on the discussion page.
--Hunt, Christopher 14:56, 17 November 2009 (UTC)
This page provides a checklist and instructions for Imaging, Configuring and Delivering a Windows computer.
'Imaging' Windows PC Computers using BartPE CD
1. __Power up the computer, (if Desktop, use a USB keyboard) and press F12 when F2 or F12 appears.
2. __Place an appropriate BartPE CD, which is compatible with computer Model, into the CD drive tray.
3. __Select the CD-ROM drive to BOOT to BARTPE CD, which will auto-map to \\Hawk\ghost
4. __Click OK, at the PE Network Configurator screen.
5. __Click OK, at the About Symantec Ghost screen.
6. __Select Local, then Disk, then "From Image" at the Symantec Ghost …screen.
7. __Select ‘Network Drive’ from Look in: pull-down menu on ‘Image file name to restore from’ ..screen.
8. __Select the correct folder (i.e., __Desktops or __Laptops… etc) which contains the image for the computer Model.
9. __Select the correct image for the computer Model you are imaging. (Use arrow-down to read Image file description)
10. __Click OK, at the Select local destination drive… screen.
11. __Click OK, at the Destination drive Detail …screen.
12. __Click Yes, at the question: – “Proceed with disk restore?” …screen.
13. __Click Reset Computer, at the "Clone Complete" …screen. (Computer should reboot - If not, Restart)
'Configuring' PC Computer Procedure*:
*(This procedure is imbedded into the 'PC Computer Distribution' Helpdesk tickets)
NAME (person doing configuration & delivery): ____________________________
***Write Username & Ticket# on blue tape, & place on the computer and laptop bag.
Change the password for the Intel AMT- (755 Desktops only)
1.__ Turn on the computer
2.__ At the BIOS screen, press CTRL-P to enter the Intel AMT management console
3.__ Login using the default password: (__)
4.__ Select change password from the menu and press enter
5.__ Type in the new password: (___)
6.__ Exit and restart computer and you are all set.
Configuring the computer using 'scripts' shortcuts – (left to right)
1.__ Log-on as LIS (__)
2.__ Click NO to restarting computer!
3.__ Id.txt file (on screen) - Fill-in the Midd: ________
4.__ SAVE and Close the Id.txt file.
5.__ Launch Internet Explorer, go-to Tools, select 'Windows Update' & install latest updates.
6.__ Launch Symantec AntiVirus, click-on 'LiveUpdate...' &install latest virus definitions.
7.__ Launch Config.cmd - ['scripts' shortcut on desktop - bottom left]
8.__ Type the 'users'[Username-midd] => OK [this names the computer]
9.__ “Press any key to continue”… -- (Reboots)
10__ Log-on as LIS (again) => “Press any key to continue”…-- (Reboots & will join the DOMAIN)
11__ Log-on as LIS (again), => Cancel the Novell login screen.
12__Type in the 'users' [username] => OK - [adds user to Administrators Group]
13__ Ensure the correct People and Groups have been added to ‘Administrators Group’.
Installing Printers, Software, run ‘AssetTrckr’, CM-Reg, & update ‘BIOS’ - (while logged in as LIS):
1.__ Launch “Add Bombay Printers” shortcut => (use Authorized Acct – midd\pcconfig)
2.__ Add appropriate printers and select a “Default printer”
3.__ Launch “Add Software HAWK Drop” shortcut => (use Authorized Acct – midd\pcconfig)
4.__ Launch “AssetTrckr ScanCmptr” shortcut => (use Authorized Acct – midd\pcconfig)
5.__ Launch “CM-Network Registration” shortcut, => Fill-in the details to register the computer.
6.__ Launch “BIOS” shortcut => Launch latest ‘bios’.exe (if a ‘newer’ BIOS is available)
7.__ Click 'Run', [but wait!!] ...don't click 'Continue' yet…
8.__ first Delete the ‘scripts’ shortcuts from the desktop, then ‘Empty Recycle Bin’
9.__ On ‘Dell BIOS Flash’ screen, Click 'Continue'. -- (If BIOS is current, click Cancel & Re-Boot!!)
Log-On as 'Administrator' to COPY LIS profile to Default User profile;
1.__ Log-on as administrator - use Workstation only (desktops)
2.__ Launch System Properties - (shortcut on desktop)
3.__ On Advanced tab, under 'User Profiles' click on Settings button, then click-on 'LIS' profile (to highlight it)...
4.__ Click 'Copy To' button, => Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\Default User (to highlight it) => OK
5.__ …Click Change button, click Location button, Cancel, - click on ‘local computer’ under Location: => OK
6.__ Type everyone in box, click 'Check Names' button, and will be recognized with an underline....
.…Click: YES => OK => OK
7.__ Log-Off as administrator, & Log-on to the ‘MIDD’ Domain using a Domain User Acct.
8.__ Launch Outlook - (to test Outlook auto-configuration)
9.__ Config is done! – Shutdown! -> **Bag and/or Box-up all computer equipment & prepare for delivery!**
10__ Contact user to confirm: they have saved their files to Tigercat and are ready to make the computer swap, and arrange a Delivery Date, Time and Place with user.
11__Place the appointment on 'Distribution Calendar' include who is doin delivery. (update Ticket w/appt)
12__Record the Monitor & Port Replicator Midd# & serial # in the Helpdesk ticket 'Detail' screen.
13__Update the Helpdesk ticket and the LIS_InvControl dataBase.
14__ **Laptop Bag: Laptop, AC adapter, network cable, USB mouse.
14a __ **Laptop extras: (in monitor box): 17” monitor, port replicator, keyboard, digital video cable, USB cable & 2 power cords.
15__ **Desktop Box: (in monitor box): Computer, 17” monitor attached with DVI “Y” & Digital video cable, (2) power cords, Network cable, USB keyboard & mouse.
'Delivering' a New Laptop with Port Replicator, 17” monitor, & keyboard:
Before going onsite:
1. __Confirm with user they want extra accessories: Port Replicator, 17” monitor, keyboard, & mouse.
2. __Record the Serial# in Helpdesk ticket for Port Replicator, and Monitor.
3. __Confirm with user they have saved their files to Tigercat and are ready to make the swap.
4. __Arrange with user a delivery Date, time and place. Place appointment in Dist. Calendar. (update Tx)
1.__ Attach all hardware cables and network cable to the Port Repl, include USB from monitor to Port rep., local printers, etc.
2.__Demonstrate “How-to” attach / & eject, the Laptop, onto/ & from, the Port Replicator.
3.__Power-up the monitor, laptop and other devices.
4.__Ensure the user has created a log-on password. If not, help them with creating one.
5.__Have user log-on to both Windows and Novel, for the 1st time.
6.__Launch Internet Explorer to ensure computer is not in CM-Network Registration mode.
7.__Launch Outlook (auto-configures). _Ask user if they view other Mailboxes. Add them if necessary.
8.__Check Printers folder for local printer installed, if not, install from Website. Select a Default printer.
9.__In Power Options/Advanced tab/Power Buttons/ select “Do Nothing” When “close the lid of laptop”
10__With Ext 17” monitor, ask user if they would like dual monitor setup.
11__Demonstrate the **Dual-Monitor setup & 'how-to use' so they can reverse the process if desired.
12__Demonstrate the Fn & F8 - Display switching method.
13__Demonstrate how-to connect using Wireless, (D620 & D630: slide switch or Fn & F2 keys on D610)
14__Demonstrate wireless logon to midd_secure & midd_unplugged.
15__Point out and explain the three VPN connection shortcuts for their use off campus.
16__Ask them if they have any questions and let them know that we store their old computer for 1 month.
17__Bag the old laptop & accessories and return to the library basement cage 2 storage area.
18__ Update the Helpdesk ticket and the InvControl dataBase.
1) Go to Display Properties. (Right-click on desktop, select Properties or go to Control Panel\Display)
2) Go to the Settings tab…
3) Click on the number“2” monitor. (the External 17” monitor)
4) Place a check mark in the box [x] “Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor”
5) Screen resolution to 1280 by 1024 pixels.
6) Press “OK”. (done)
'Delivering' a New Desktop computer system:
Before going onsite:
1. __Confirm with user they have saved their files to Tigercat and are ready to make the swap.
2. __Record the monitor's MIDD# in the Helpdesk ticket.
3. __Arrange with user, a delivery Date, time and place. Place appointment in Dist. Calendar. (update Tx)
1.__ Attach all hardware cables and network cable to the computer, include USB from monitor, local printers, etc.
2.__Power-up the monitor, computer and any other devices.
3.__Ensure the user has created a log-on password. If not, help them with creating one.
4.__Have user log-on to both Windows and Novel, for the 1st time.
5.__Launch Internet Explorer to ensure computer is not in CM-Network Registration mode.
6.__Launch Outlook (auto-configures). _Ask user if they view other Mailboxes. Add them if necessary.
7.__Check Printers folder for local printer installed, if not, install from Website. Select a Default printer.
8.__Ask them if they have any questions and let them know that we store their old computer for 1 month.
9.__Box the old computer & accessories and return to the library basement cage 2 storage area.
10__Update the Helpdesk ticket and the InvControl dataBase in cage 2.