EBL ebook Downloading
There are several sources through which one can access ebooks at Middlebury College. The directions for downloading an ebook that follow pertain to about 44,000 ebooks available through EBL.
1. Search Summon, MIDCAT or go/ebooks (go.middlebury.edu/ebooks). If you find an ebook through either MIDCAT or Summon, click on the link "click here to view"
2. Sign on using your Middlebury usename and password.
3. Click on the "read online" button pictured below:
You will be alloted 5 minutes to:
• View details about the book
• Look at the Table of Contents
• Search through the text of the book.
After 5 minutes, you will see this box telling you that your browse time has expired, and asking if you would like to borrow this book.
If you answer "Yes, create a loan", you can continue to read online using your web browser. You'll be able to log into EBL from any other computer and continue reading the book for 24 hours. When the loan expires and you still want to read the book, simply request another 24-hour loan.
You can also choose to dowload the book to a portable device. You can choose to have either a 7-day or 14-day loan.
• To download your EBL ebook to a PC, MAC, or laptop computer for offline reading, or to download to a portable device , go to Step 3, below.
• To download your EBL ebook to an iPad, ipod, or iPhone, or Android device, go to Step 4, below.
• Not sure your device is compatible? Check out the list of Adpbe Digital Editions supported devices.
4. Download your book to your computer or ereader.
Before you can download your EBL ebook to your computer (for offline reading) or for your device (except for Kindle), you will first need to install Adobe Digital Editions (it's free!) on your computer. If you've never accessed the Adobe website before, you will be asked to create a userid and password before you can install the software. Again, all of this is free!
After you've finished installing Adobe Digital Editions, you can download your ebook. Click on the DOWNLOAD BOOK box under the DOWNLOAD tab. You will be asked to borrow the book for either 1 or 7 days. (Note: Some books default to only a 1 day loan period, so you may not see this choice).