Set-up Exchange on Outlook or Entourage
- Outlook - In what cases do we need the normal Outlook Exchange settings as opposed to Outlook Anywhere?
- Outlook Anywhere configuration: 
- Entourage: once configured with HTTPS settings, can connect from anywhere on-campus or off-campus. Entourage 2004 Entourage 2008
- No other clients work w/ Exchange to my knowledge. Evolution (Gnome-Linux) can connect to Exchange 2000 and 2003 servers; unfortunately we have Exchange 2007 now.
POP and IMAP settings
-> Please verify! Is this information accurate? --Hunt, Christopher 21:51, 10 July 2008 (EDT)
The POP protocol will download all mail from the server onto the user's computer and the mails will be deleted from the server. IMAP, on the other hand, keeps all mail on the server and accesses it remotely.
- Incoming mail server should be mail.middlebury.edu. If you are using IMAP, incoming mail does require SSL encryption.
- Outgoing mail server should be ssmtp.middlebury.edu and does require TLS encryption if it's available, otherwise SSL encryption. Also requires authentication w/ same credentials as incoming server. Do not use secure password authentication.
- You cannot send mail using this configuration (can you by any configuration?) if you are on the midd_unplugged network - unless you are using a VPN connection.
Some applications require special configuration.
- Thunderbird: you need to select TLS encryption for outgoing mail; it does not work with SSL encryption.
Accessing other e-mail accounts from on campus
What problems will users have with using mail from other domains while they're inside our network?
What to try when the normal configuration isn't working. Make into separate article? (In "Troubleshooting" section)
- Check basic things like IP and registration status.
- Can log in to Novell?
--Hunt, Christopher 09:48, 11 July 2008 (EDT)