Equipment Cataloging Procedures
General instructions: Create brief local bib records for any equipment that will be checked out by faculty or students.
- Create new bib record for equipment (in Cataloging mode, not Circ)
- Process equipment by adding barcodes, labels
- Edit exisiting bib records
- Add item records
- Delete item records and bib records
- Record withdrawn items on Googledocs spreadsheet
How to catalog equipment
Choose template from Millennium
- Click NEW icon
- Select Equipment bib
Add or change these MARC fields in the template
||CAMCORDER [in capital letters]|
||Laptop, Apple ibook|
|246||3, 0||Alt title||Apple ibook laptop|
||1 camcorder in leather case 1 instruction sheet.|
||Models: Sony, Mistubishi, Panasonic|
||< >, 0
||< >, 0
- 099 CAMCORDER, CALCULATOR, TRIPOD, etc. [in capital letters]
- 245 (Create title specific to item) -- Sony digital Handycam, etc.
- 246 (alternate title if necessary) -- Handycam, Digital, etc.
- 300 (Add brief description) -- 1 camcorder in leather case 1 instruction sheet, etc.
- 500 note if necessary for contents -- Models: Sony, Mitsubishi, Panasonic.
- 655 (Index/Genre term) -- Camcorders, Tripods, etc.
- 655 -- Equipment.
- 856 (URL, if necessary)
- SAVE record; check in MIDCAT (Menu bar: View/Public display)
For examples, search MIDCAT by genre for Equipment
- Location: usually mmce or mace
- Item code 2: u [uncataloged]
- Cost: check with Charlie Conway if necessary
- Add BARCODE: usually on main item only; sometimes on label tags
- Add VOLUME field for MC number [ctrl+i, v]: e.g., #18 (some have numbers on them from Media Services, some you make up yourself)
- Add MESSAGE field [ctrl+i, m]: Check for 2 cables, etc.
- 4-hour loaners within library: give to P&P for security strip; no property label necessary
- Staff/Faculty loaners: Tape a property sticker on top. These do not get barcoaded
- Luggage tags to attach to equipment bags: use the laminator in LIB 133 (needs about 10 minutes to preheat)