Equipment Cataloging Procedures
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.
General instructions: Create brief local bib records for any equipment that will be checked out by faculty or students.
- Create new bib record for equipment
- Process equipment by adding barcodes, labels
- Edit exisiting bib records
- Add item records
- Delete item records and bib records
- Record withdrawn items on Googledocs spreadsheet
How to catalog equipment
Choose template from Millennium
- Click NEW icon
- Select Equipment bib
- Add: 099 CAMCORDER, CALCULATOR, TRIPOD, etc. [in capital letters]
- Adjust: 245 (Create title specific to item) -- Sony digital Handycam, etc.
- Add: 246 (alternate title if necessary) -- Handycam, Digital, etc.
- Adjust: 300 (Add brief description) -- 1 camcorder in leather case 1 instruction sheet, etc.
- Add: 500 note if necessary for contents -- Models: Sony, Mitsubishi, Panasonic.
- Add: 655 (Index/Genre term) -- Camcorders, Tripods, etc.
- Keep: 655 -- Equipment.
- Add: 856 (URL, if necessary)
- Location: usually mmce or mace
- Item code 2: u [uncataloged]
- Cost: check with Charlie Conway if necessary
- Add BARCODE: usually on main item only; sometimes on label tags
- Add VOLUME field for MC number [ctrl+i, v]: e.g., #18 (some have numbers on them from Media Services, some you make up yourself)
- Add MESSAGE field [ctrl+i, m]: Check for 2 cables, etc.
- 4-hour loaners within library: give to P&P for security strip; no property label necessary
- Staff/Faculty loaners: Tape a property sticker on top. These do not get barcoaded
- Luggage tags to attach to equipment bags: use the laminator in LIB 133 (needs about 10 minutes to preheat)