Difference between revisions of "Exchange 2010 Migration - Updating Entourage - Instructions"
(Added tag: 'entourage')
|Line 86:||Line 86:|
Revision as of 11:55, 15 July 2010
If you have any Entourage version other than Entourage 13, you will need to update Entourage. The update path varies, depending on the version that you currently have. See the next section to find the Entourage version number.
- The simplest but potentially most time consuming option is to use our latest Office 2008 "Combo" package. See the section Office 2008 Combo Package. Note that only faculty, staff and students from the regular academic year are eligible for this package.
- If you've been keeping up to date with Microsoft Office updates, you may want to use the section titled Manually Updating Entourage.
Find the Entourage version number
To find what version of Entourage is installed on your computer:
- Open Entourage.
- In the upper left corner of the screen click on the menu titled Entourage.
- On the Entourage menu, click About Entourage.
- The version will be displayed near the top.
Backing up your Entourage data
Note: You should quit all Microsoft Office programs before continuing.
- Click the Spotlight icon in the top right corner of your screen and type the words Microsoft Database Utility.
- In the list of search results, click on the Microsoft Database Utility.
- In the window that appears select the most recent Main Identity and choose Rebuild Database, then click Continue.
Note: In addition to backing up your data, this process will also optimize your Entourage database.
If you have Entourage 2004
See the section Using the Office 2008 Combo Package.
If you have Entourage version 13 or higher
No further action needs to be taken. Your computer is ready for the migration.
If you have versions of Entourage between 12.0.0 and 12.2.6
Using the Office 2008 Combo package
In a few steps, the combo package will install the latest version of Office 2008 and Entourage 13. Note that only faculty, staff and students from the regular academic year are eligible for this package. The drawback of this package is that it may take a long time to download (if you are on a slower network) and it takes a little longer to install. The advantage is that the package is fairly automated.
- Open your web browser and visit http://go.middlebury.edu/files
- Login with your College credentials.
- Open the Software folder.
- Click on Office2008.dmg and save this file on your compuer.
- Your browser may open this file automatically. If it does not, please double-click the downloaded file.
- A window with the title Office2008 will open. Double-click the Office 2008.mpkg.
- Keep clicking Continue to start the installation process. Enter your computer password when prompted. The installation process will likely take 30-50 minutes.
- When the installation is complete, skip to the section Import your Entourage data. Do not follow the steps under Manually Updating Entourage.
Manually Updating Entourage
If you do not or cannot use the Office 2008 Combo Package, you will need to manually update Entourage. Depending on how much you've kept up with Microsoft's update, the manual process may be very short or quite long.
If you have any version between 12.0 and 12.2.4
First, you will need to upgrade your Entourage to 12.2.5 and then to 13.
- To update to version 12.2.5, open Entourage, click on the Help menu, and click on Check for Updates.
- A window titled Microsoft AutoUpdate will appear. In the lower right corner of that window click the button Check for Updates.
- After a brief delay the Microsoft AutoUpdate application will display any available updates. Before clicking Install, you should quit all Microsoft Office programs, including Entourage. After all Microsoft Office programs have quit, click the Install button to install the updates. Note: During the update process you will be prompted for the password for your computer.
- Once the update is installed, restart your computer and run Microsoft AutoUpdate again. Keep following steps 2-4 until Microsoft AutoUpdate displays a message that there are no additional updates.
If you have Entourage versions between 12.2.5 and 12.2.6
- Download Entourage 13 from the following link:http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/1/A/A1A3DCE8-A25E-4173-BC58-CFB3E81EB49E/EWS-1304-EN.dmg
- Your web browser may open the Entourage 13 download automatically. If it does not, please double-click the downloaded file.
- A window titled Entourage Web Services will appear. In that window, double-click the icon labeled Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition.mpkg
- Click Continue when you see the warning This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed.
- The Entourage 13 installer window will appear. Keep clicking Continue in that window. Note: If you've followed the Microsoft AutoUpdate instructions above or if your Entourage version is at least 12.2.5, your computer does meet the minimum requirements and you can click Continue when you see the Compatibility Check section.
- Keep clicking Continue and enter your computer password when prompted. When the installation completes, click Finish to close the installer window.
Importing your Entourage data
After upgrading to Entourage 13, you need to launch Entourage and import your Entourage data.
- Open Entourage.
- The Entourage Setup Assistant will open.
- Select Import from a previous version of Entourage.
- Select the version of Entourage that you had prior to upgrading to 13.Click the arrow in the lower right corner to continue.
- You will need to select the items that you'd like to import. Select all of them and click the arrow in the lower right corner to continue.
- You will be prompted to select the Identity that you‚Äôd like to import. In most cases, the most recent Main Identity is the correct one. Click the arrow in the lower right corner to continue.
- You will see a warning that Entourage does not support syncing with all version of Exchange Server. You can click OK as our server does support Entourage 13.
- In 5-10 minutes (or a bit more if you have a lot of e-mail) the import process will complete. Click Finish. You will most likely be prompted to for your email password and Entourage will resume its function.