Gitosis is the system that hosts the central Git code repositories for the Web Application development group. This page documents how to work with the system.
Clone a repository
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:repository_name.git
If you get a password prompt like
it means that there was an error authenticating your SSH keys. You should not be prompted for a password for git@chisel.
Granting access to a new machine
On the remote machine:
1. Create an SSH key if one doesn't exist:
2. Copy the
~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub contents (being sure to elimiate any new-lines).
3. Check-out the Gitosis configuration:
git clone email@example.com:gitosis-admin.git
4. Put the contents of the public key into a file in the
5. Add the key file-name (without the
.pub extension to the
gitosis.conf file in either a readonly or writable group.
6. Commit the config changes and push them back to Gitosis:
git add . git commit -m "Added key for machinename." git push