Guidelines for setting library hours
Hours are here.
Library Hours - Guiding Principles
- Match college calendar - closed when college is officially closed
- Reduce open hours during semester and holiday breaks
- Hours at branch libraries the same when possible, varying only when use statistics and activity warrant
- Exam and winter holiday hours will be TBD each semester/year
- Fall Midterm break and Winter Carnival break - reduce hours at Davis Family and Armstrong.
- Closed on Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving
- Circulation Desks are staffed all hours Libraries are open
- Other Library and/or ITS service point hours may differ from building hours
Regular Hours - Davis Family Library
Mon.-Thur., 7:30 AM – 1 AM
Fri., 7:30 AM – 5 PM
Sat., 9 AM – 5 PM
Sun., 9 AM – 1 AM
Summer AND J-Term
Mon.-Thur., 7:30 AM – 12 MIDNIGHT
Fri., 7:30 AM – 11 PM
Sat., 9 AM – 11 PM
Sun., 9 AM – 12 AM
Exceptions - Davis Family Library
- Open full hours the day before classes resume after a break during the semester
- Weekend before classes resume: Fall and Spring: Sat 9-5, Sun. 9-8 ; Winter: Sat. Closed*, Sun 9-8 (*If classes start the first week of January and we have not been open the week prior, then Saturday will be 9-5) ; Summer: Sat 9-5, Sun. 9-5
- Close at 5 pm on days that classes/exams end (7 pm if falls on a Friday)
- Open 9-5 Monday-Friday during break periods
- Sat & Sun - closed for break periods between semesters - EXCEPT, any graduation, Alumni weekend, when hours are 9 am - 5 pm. The EXCEPTION to this is after Language School graduation on Friday night, the library will be closed the following weekend.
- Sat & Sun open 9 – 5 pm for break periods within semesters
- Fall Orientation 8 AM - 8 PM NOTE: ACTUALLY OPEN THE DOORS AT 7:45 to allow for classes that may start at 8.
- Closed for one day (TBD) for library in-service during both Fall and Spring breaks.
- Closed Memorial Day
- Thanksgiving: CLOSED W-S, re-open Sunday (regular hours)
Regular Hours - Armstrong Library
Mon.-Thur. 7:45 AM - Midnight
Fri. 7:45 AM – 5 PM
Sat. 10 AM – 5 PM
Sun. 10 AM – Midnight
Mon.-Thur., 7:45 AM – 10 PM
Fri., 7:45 AM – 5 PM
Sat. 10 AM – 5 PM
Sun. 1 PM – 10 PM
Exceptions - Armstrong Library
- All Davis exceptions apply to Armstrong with the addition/changes indicated below:
- Close at 5 pm on days that classes/exams end
- Open 9 - 5 Monday-Friday during College break period
- Saturday and Sunday closed during College break periods
- Sundays - breaks within semesters before classes resume - 4 pm - 12 midnight
UPDATED 8/17/21: Exam hours will not differ from regular hours. The library will be open full hours until exams end.
UPDATED 11/9/18: The week prior to exams and exams, the library will stay open until 2 am Sun-Thursday, with regular hours Friday and Saturday. Armstrong hours will not change from the normal hours. Davis will continue to lock to the public at 9 pm.
- Davis Family Library open 24/7; to be evaluated on a semester by semester basis pending budget, stats review and user feedback; and by consulting exam schedules/locations
- General guidelines for 24/7 exam period - library is open 24 hours starting at 9 am on the Sunday before the last week of classes. The library will close at 11 pm the following Friday. The Saturday before exams will be regular hours (9 am - 11 pm). 24/7 will resume Sunday morning at 9 am and the library will close at 8 pm on the last day of exams.
- Armstrong - extend hours until midnight the Friday of the exam period - ONLY if needed to accommodate exam schedule; extended hours will match the earliest or latest exam in Bi-Hall. If there are no exams scheduled, regular hours will be in effect. Close on Saturday when last exam in MBH ends.
- Middlebury College Access card required for entry to Davis Family Library during exam period outside regular hours to prioritize facility use for primary users
- July 4th: regular opening, close at 5 pm (both branches)
- If it does not interfere with Fall Orientation, the library will close for Labor Day
• Hours reviewed annually in July and on a as needed basis throughout the year by a representative group of Library staff (Circulation Services, Library Administration)
• Review activity, user feedback, usage stats and staffing resources to determine changes to hours; regularly evaluate for possible budget savings
• Provide advance notice and consult with constituent and user groups regarding library hours; consult with Event Management
• Notify the user community – all staff/faculty/student - to any change in the regular library hours – spring break, fall break, Thanksgiving, Exams, Winter Carnival, Holidays, break periods
• Hours signage posted on web, at service points and on entrance doors
• Notify Public Safety
• Notify Library Cafe
• Notify Events Scheduling