- 1 HEAT 9.5.1 - Information and Updates Page
- 2 FAQs about Heat
- 3 Notes from the Heat 9 Training Session
HEAT 9.5.1 - Information and Updates Page
HEAT 9.5.1 went LIVE on Thursday December 23, 2010.
Important Setup Information for HEAT 9.5 Client:
1. Sending Email - You will need to select EDIT | User Preferences under HEAT 9 client menu and deselect the MAPI 'disable' checkbox - Press OK to save change.
2. Windows 7 Users - this version of Windows comes with many new security features which protects your computer against malicious attacks. This layer of protection requires the user to take additional actions when running the HEAT 9.5.1 Client on their desktop. It is recommended that you go into Call Logging Properties (right-click on Call Logging executable) and select the Compatibility tab. On this tab you should select "Run this program as Administrator" under the Priviledge Level section. This will allow a new HEAT 9.5 Catalog to be updated on your computer when changes occur in maintenance cycles (which will be frequent in the coming weeks).
- All global Alerts have been uploaded to: \\Heat9-Test\HEAT Alert Definitions
We have our alert monitor "definitions" ready! The definitions are what makes the alert monitor pop-up and display new/updated tickets. To have the new alert definitions open automatically when you launch the alert monitor:
Open the Alert Monitor (from the Start menu), enter your password, if prompted check "automatically use this ODBC", and then click Options (next to File in the top left corner) => User Preferences => Browse => type \\heat9-test then press enter, go into heat alert definitions and double-click the file for your area. Put a checkmark next to Automatically Start Polling and click OK. You'll need to close and re-open the alert monitor to ensure it's working.
Web Client (go/heat9)
BPAM - SR/WI Journal Updates, Customer Email from Journal
Core Alert Monitors have been created - location is: \\heat9-test\HEAT Alert Definitions
What is not functioning as of January 3, 2011:
All automatic ticket generation (i.e. Hyperion) is not currently setup
Reporting not setup
Inventory (hardware configurations) have not been completed
CAUSE pulldown - only preliminary Cause information has been added per Call Type - more to come
I still am not receiving any responces from journals I have sent out.
Report Issues Here:
When updating Customer Profile it does not show-up in Subset of current ticket. fixed - jim 1/12
Autotasks are not showing-up on pulldown (by design -jim 1/5)
When sending emails to customers from Journal, all the fun stuff at the bottom doesn't show up... the thank you and LIS Helpdesk stuff. (In general, the emails are pretty clunky in terms of style and grammar. They're difficult to read.) (emails cleaned-up and signed by Tracker -jim 1/5)
Computer work order - no spaces for service tag, model, etc. for machines not in inventory system (student computers - useful to capture make, model, s/n) (-Nate 1/3/2011) (memo field created for Student section, Memo field for additional notes including serial number, etc... provided - jim 1/5)
Pulldown menus do not work in the Windows 7 client application or the web version using IE 8 (-Ian M 1/3/2011) (was related to user permissions. Jim resolved. 1/6)
If you choose the journal type after you type your message it will delete and you will have to do it over again.(by design - quick Journal entry functionality - jim 1/5)
Work orders do not print from Heat. All it prints is a page that says "Print Work Order here." (-Alex 1/4/2011) (completed - jim 1/12)
It would be nice if the priority was not required and autofilled to 3 unless we are changing the meaning of priority around here. (-Alex 1/4/2011) fixed -jim 1/12
9. Helpdesk workers will not be able to use the alert monitor effectively until a follow-up queue is created. (-Alex 1/4/2011)
In the equipment detail screen it is requiring us to enter a Scheduled Date and Time. We can not close the ticket without it and it will not let us enter it. Catch 22. Can we make this not required? (-Lisa 1/5/11) (fixed - jim 1/5)
The ticket doesn't update when adding customer information like cell phone or alternate e-mail address. They only show in new tickets for the same customer. It would be nice if the ticket would update - even if we have to click a button to make it update. (Linda - 1/6/2011) fixed -jim 1/12
12. Journals should be sent as email messages to the person who acknowledged the current assignment so there is a reminder to look at the ticket when it gets updated by someone else. (Linda - 1/6/2011)
13. In many cases buttons require a second click before desired functionality kicks in -- as if the form you are on is somehow not the active window. Same happens with some command key shortcuts -- if you click the screen first it works as expected, otherwise you get a shortcut for a different window. [Pij, 1/11/11] I can't do anything about this issue - sorry. -jim 1/12
14. Source used to be required in order to save a ticket - I believe that is still appropriate. (-Nate 2/8/2011)
Report Wishlist Items Here:
The older page HEAT_Changes has some wishlist items, as well.
Assignment screen - consider aligning all current assignee info on left, moving acknowledge and resolve info to top right, leave comments at bottom (-Nate 1/3/11)(done -jim 1/5)
- email journal to customer - add sender's name to the signature of the email - or train all of us in how we need format our emails now (-Nate 1/3/11)
"Printing Imaging Form" button for lab/public computing distribution ticket not working (-Nate 1/3/11)done 1/18 -jim
- Assignment group for Call Center > 2nd Pass, Follow Up, etc.
Priority - default to priority 3? do we need/want to have a journal entry record of priority changes? (-Marty & Nate 1/4/2011) On-Site - any chance of reinstating check box for this? Or finding similar way to designate issues to be done onsite? And create a call group for these? (-Nate 1/4/11) (Done - checkbox on Assignment form now. -jim 1/5) Re-assigning tickets - one-click reassignment of tickets is very handy. (-Howie's suggestion, as noted by Nate 1/4/11)(Done - jim 1/5) Confirmation (time stamp) of journal emailed to customers once HEAT has sent it (Mandy 1/5/11)fixed -jim 1/12
- The Call Browse list must have FN and LN fields displayed right after the CallID# field. (Linda, 1/6/11) [Pij seconds this, 1/11/11!]
- The Alert Monitor list must have FN and LN fields displayed right after the CallID# field. (Linda, 1/6/11)
Alert Monitor walk-in alert needs an unacknowledged queue.-done - jim 1/12 Change the function of the Resolve button (on Assignment tab) to automatically Complete the call rather than ask us whether to Complete or Reassign - this dialog is no longer needed because the Reassign button has been added.Done -jim
- Have it so that an Alt email can be placed in a ticket and 2 people can get the email sent through journal. The user that is in the subset and a second user. This is helpful when someone calls to have something done for another person and then we can let them both know that it has been done.
- Would like Call History to show automatically when creating a new ticket - helps prevent creating duplicate tickets (Marty 1/10/11)
- Would like SRP Unacknowledged Alert to show the name of the group who reassigned to us. It would be nice to easily know which are coming back from Server Guys or are new from Call Ctr, for example. [Pij, 1/11/11]
- Is it possible to have a "Waiting on Customer" and "Resolved" (but not closed) as status, with possible automatic updates to customers whose tickets are in that status. [cT 1/26/11]
- "Who does what" list? (cT)
- Automated reminders when we have't heard from customer. Auto-close after 3 reminders with no response.
- Please bring back the so-called Limbo Ticket report -- showing tickets that are not closed but do not have an open assignment. [Pij, 1/28/11]
Wishlist: call types
Need a Category/Call Type for printer use issues with no detail screen. It often doesn't matter which printer is involved. (Linda, 1/6/11)done -jim 1/12
- Need a FireWall Issues call type under Network Infrustructure. (Linda, 1/6/11)
- Need a very general Category/Call Type for questions that don't fit anywhere else (like the old Miscellaneous/Request for Information). We could review these regularily for hints on what other Category/Call Types are needed. (Linda, 1/6/11) (We would love you forever if you make this. -Alex and the Consultants 1/6/11)
Cat/call type for SPAM & phishing?(Done -EMail | Phishing, EMail | SPAM - jim 1/5) Cat/call type for generic printer use issues (no details page!).Done -jim 1/12
- Cat/call type for using lab & classroom technology (e.g., projectors, DVD players, etc.). (Need more information - jim)
Cause: Equipment failure for equipment-related tickets. (Topher, 2011-01-07)Done jim 1/12
- Need a Cause of Request on many of the Category/Call Types. (Linda, 1/6/11) Can you be more specific Linda? -jim 1/12
Remove Helpdesk Phone as the Source - leave it blank (Marty 1/10/11 done -jim 1/12
FAQs about Heat
- The icons used for navigating journal entries are missing.
Solution: It appears that some combination of resolution and font size (DPI setting) in Windows makes certain icons in Heat "invisible" (the buttons are clickable but the icon is invisible).
Lowering the DPI to Normal makes the icon reappear (restarting the computer is required). Here's how to adjust the DPI setting in Windows:
- How do I update the customer's information such as an alternate phone #?
Most information about customers is updated automatically from active directory. One exception is the alternate phone number (e.g. Cell Phone) which you can update manually. If you create a Call and during that call you change the Customer Profile information you can now update the existing Subset by pressing the update button (looks like a yellow pad & pencil) on the main Heat call log window, next to the customer information.
Notes from the Heat 9 Training Session
- Password authentication is required for accessing Heat.
- Your password is NOT related to your regular College password — the password is the same as your username.
- Heat 9.5 comes with a web interface available at http://go.middlebury.edu/heat9
- It's a little clunky but better than iHeat.
- Firefox works better than Internet Explorer (Firefox must be used on Mac)
- No Favorites, No Table Maintenance. You have to enter an ID number to have the system enter the rest of the customer's details. No alert monitor via the web.
Installing the new Heat – Mac
- Use the web interface (see above)
Installing the new Heat - PC
- There is no need to remove the old version of Heat - the installation package will take care of that automatically.
- Map a drive to \\labserver\heat9 (or click on the start menu => run => \\labserver\heat9 )
- Double-click heat9.exe The installation package will automatically configure all that you need to run Heat.
- When the installation is complete the install window will disappear.
- You can open Heat, the Alert Monitor and the Heat User Guide through shortcuts on the Start menu => Programs (or All Programs) => HEAT.
Note: If you're using Heat on Windows 7, the first time (and just the first time) when you open it you need to run it with elevated permissions (shift+right click on the icon and run it as administrator).
Using the new Heat (Mac or PC)
- The users guide is available on the Start Menu under Programs (or All Programs) => HEAT.
- A video of the training session is available here Heat 9 Training - Dec 2010
What's new in Heat 9.5
- Password authentication and web interface (see above)
- Two "customer" types — regular user and location. The "location" customer is useful for creating tickets for issues/requests relating to shared spaces (e.g. A computer lab) or shared resources (e.g. Printers).
- Many Detail Screens are not available yet.
- Feature request for Heat changes will go through a change management process.
- Short description field: Will be used as the Subject line in any emails sent through Heat.
- Close description field: should be used only for detailing the final resolution of the ticket.
- Customers will eventually be able to see this through a web based self service.
- Cause field: The options you see here are driven by the Call Type.
- Related ticket field: You can type in a ticket # that's related to the current one.
- Favorites feature: In the left-hand side bar of heat you can configure your own "favorites" which can be web links or heat tasks. See user guide for details.
- Misc notes: You can right-click in the Assignment, Journal and Attachment tabs and add a new entry for each.
Pending or Incomplete Features; Known Bugs
- Messaging center is currently not enabled. Emailing users/customers through Heat is not possible at this stage but we plan to have this feature on soon! Please use outlook to send emails to customers and remember to reference the ticket number and paste emails into a journal.
- We have not ensured spell checking works.
- We have not ensured that emails are sent with a custom template: Dear <customer> [followed by the journal entry] [ending with helpdesk email signature]
- Alert monitor definitions are not ready yet.