- General wiki help (on Wikipedia)
- Cheat sheets (on Wikipedia)
- Reference/citations (on Wikipedia)
Use headers for every separate topic of an article! They help organize articles in two ways:
- They visually separate information on the page, making it easier to sort through.
- The headers you use in a page are reflected in an automatically generated "Table of Contents" at the top of each page. This is very handy!== Big Header ===== Medium Header ======= Small Header ====
- Start a line with an asterisk (*) to create a bullet. Two asterisks (**) creates an indented bullet.
- Use a pound (#) to create numbering. Two pounds (##) creates an indented numbering sequence.
- A # and then a * (#*) creates a bulleted, indented subsection of a numbered list.
- Use a : to indent the beginning of a line:
- Indented by one :
- Indented by two ::'s
Change font colors:
- Use this code in Wikitext mode:<span style="color: red;">YOURTEXT</span>
- Change color name to blue, purple, green, etc. as you wish. Replace YOURTEXT with the words you want to highlight.
- Shows up like this.
Linking to top of page
- Use this code (either WIkitext mode or regular edit mode):
[[#top|Back to top]]
- Change "Back to top" to your own wording as you like
- Shows on page as: Back to top
Linking internally to another element within same page
- Anchor: Decide on an anchor name -- You want to link TO this section. Then use this code at your anchor point (in Wikitext mode):
- Use this code for the location that you want to link FROM (to bounce back to the anchor point)
Lots of commonly-used buttons are collected at the Helpdesk Documentation Buttons gallery.
Automatically redirect to another page
Useful when you move content and merge pages. The following line redirects a page to Helpdesk:
To add a category to a page, add the following wiki-text to the end of the page (for example the 'Projects' category):
To link to a category page rather than assign a category, use a colon before the keyword, 'Category' as follows:
See the Wikipedia help on catagorization for more detailed information.
See the Special:Categories page for a list of all categories currently in use.
This wiki uses the EmbedVideo plugin. See that page for further instructions on how to embed videos.
Here's the syntax for the EmbedVideo plugin:
An example using the "evolution of dance" video on Youtube (first normal sized, then scaled down):
See the Project Homepage for more examples.