It's often hard for me to keep track of the resources we have available for solving problems.
Utilities & programs (Windows)
To list useful, free programs that we might want to know about. This may need its own page if it's too long.
- unknowndevices  Lists a computer's PCI devices to help you get the right drivers for them. The Windows Device Manager doesn't always tell you the specifics.
- Foxit Reader  Small, fast PDF reader, alternative to Adobe Reader.
- Daemon ISO Mounter  Mount ISO images to act like inserted CDs.
- CCleaner  Cleans temp files, junk files, etc. to speed up computer.
- AVG Antivirus  Free antivirus software, for when we can't or don't want to install SAV on someone's computer.
- SpywareBlaster  Generates blacklists of known unsafe sites and unsafe items so that you will be protected from these threats in IE / Firefox.
--Hunt, Christopher 20:41, 9 July 2008 (EDT)
Cleaning viruses & malware
See article Viruses and malware for malware cleaning steps and tips.
Requests for information
- Parent calling, wants to know what laptop model he should buy for incoming freshman. go/lis
- Parent calling, wants help w/ paying for student tuition online.
Where to look first for help
- Search this wiki
- Do a simple search in HEAT
- Troubleshooting Links button in HEAT
- Your fellow consultants
- Staff members
--Hunt, Christopher 17:01, 9 July 2008 (EDT)