How to setup Outlook 2011 to send and receive e-mail
Basic Setup to Send/Receive Mail
- Launch Outlook for Mac 2011. (If this is the first time you've opened Outlook for Mac 2011, then the Welcome to Outlook window will open. Click the Continue button to close the Welcome to Outlook window.)
- Click Tools in the menu bar at the top of the screen then click Accounts. The Accounts window will appear.
- In the Accounts window, click Exchange Account. The Enter your Exchange information window will appear.
- In the Enter your Exchange information window:
- Click Add Account.
- Outlook will be automatically configured to send and receive your Middlebury e-mail. The process may take a few minutes to an hour, depending on your network connection speed and the size of your mailbox.
To view a calendar to which you have been granted permission:
- Click the Calendar icon at the bottom of the left-hand navigation pane.
- With the Home tab selected, click the Open Calendar button located top center.
- Enter the user's last name (or the account username) then click OK.
- Click once on the desired account name in the list presented. Then, click Select.
- If you are unable to see the calendar, please contact the individual who granted your access so they can review your settings. For more access to an entire mailbox, see Outlook help using the search term "delegate".
Public folder calendars
To view a public folder calendar, click on the Calendar icon in the lower left pane, click on the Tools tab at the top left, then choose the Public Folders icon on the Ribbon. Locate the calendar you are seeking in the public folder list, select it, then click on the Subscribe button at the top left. That calendar will now be in the pane at the left along with your calendar.
Note: Public folder calendars are in the process of being phased out.
Add Another Mailbox to Outlook for Mac 2011
If you are a delegate for another mailbox, you may add it to your Outlook folder view as follows:
- Click on Tools > Accounts then select your Exchange account at left.
- Click the Advanced… button in the lower right.
- Click the Delegates tab.
- Click the plus ("+") sign below the lower "People I am a delegate for" pane, then enter the name of the mailbox to which you have access. Click OK to select the mailbox.
- Click OK to close the Accounts window.
- The mail folders, calendar, contacts, etc for that mailbox should now be visible, assuming the owner has granted you delegate permissions.
Note: All Macs newly configured by the Helpdesk come with the Academic version of Microsoft Office 2011 which includes Outlook. However, the Microsoft Office 2011 Home & Student edition does NOT have Outlook. If your Mac has the Home & Student edition, you can check with the Helpdesk if you are eligible to install the Academic version, which does have Outlook for Mac.
For further help on all Outlook topics, please visit Microsoft's Outlook Support Site.