Network Protocols & Server Types
Creation of an account
The steps involved in creating someone's account:
- Banner record created: a name is associated with an ID and the PIN is set.
- User's record updated to indicate status as current student, faculty or staff
- Automatic creation of computing accounts (Windows - Active Directory, Midd-Unix , Novell Netware)
- User must be added to appropriate groups to reflect course enrollment, department membership, etc. "may" automatically add group membership for account - giving access to various services and resources (ie. class members can email class list, access course website & online reserves, and see data on Classes server)
- retirement or graduation "may" result in removal from various groups, and (for most accounts) results in eventual account disabling, then deletion -- 6 months is stated life of account after departure from the college -- Alumni can get lifelong email forwarding on PantherNet .
User Accounts Details
- Username - created by rule, based on first initial followed by last name - if used, first initial, middle initial, last name - if used, first name, last initial - etc. Usernames were limited to eight characters until 2008.
- Name changes - if the name is not accurate, must be fixed in Banner first - by Human Resources (for faculty & Staff), Language Schools, Registrar's office, Bread Loaf School of English, etc. (depending on the connection to the college. You can check to see if this correction has happened by looking up the person in the Global Address Book and clicking on the Email Addresses Tab. You will see the corrected spelling listed as an alternate email address.
- alias - the username is ALMOST never changed. Doing so requires creation of a new account and moving data from old to new. Answer is likely "no" unless the name is legally changed (Banner change first), it was spelled wrong (Banner change first), or the alias spells something inappropriate.
- other aliases - an alternate email address can be added, and even made their default reply-to address - but the original alias is still the username for login to services
- Display Name - Last Name, First Name Middle Name -- this can be altered, usually with no significant side effects, on request by the account owner (John McCallister Doe may prefer "Doe, John M." rather than the full middle name).
- login to lab computers on campus
- middlebury.edu e-mail account (accessible via Outlook Web Access, Exchange, IMAP, & POP software clients - see [help pages] for official documentation (for supported software & devices) and wiki discussions on other software & devices
--Burt, Nate 21:39, 17 July 2008 (EDT)