KeySurvey - hosted
As of June 2010, KeySurvey is hosted by WorldApp. Users from the previous Middlebury hosted version were not moved to the new system. New accounts are being created on request.
local instance (surveys created July 2007-June 2010)
As of December 2012, the plug has been pulled on the local server.
- Need a hole in the firewall to enable off-campus access.
- Middlebury_Admin - Use this account to add/remove users and edit user properties
- Template - Design custom survey templates and add to the Question Library
- email@example.com - Change the text labels for the application
User Management: Middlebury_Admin
- New accounts MUST be created by a KeySurvey administrator. Attempts by end users to create accounts will result in partial accounts that have to be fixed by WorldApp.
- Create at: http://middlebury.keysurvey2.com/Registration/FreeTrial.do?logon=false&sfRegistration=false
- Match Active Directory information for:
Email Address - use middlebury.edu or miis.edu addresses only
- For Company name:
use Middlebury-faculty, Middlebury-staff, Middlebury-student or MIIS
- For Password/Confirm Password:
make up a 6 character alphanumeric string
- Click the "I have read…" box
- Click on Sign Up
- Ignore the next screen that prompts you to create a survey.Click "Log out"
- Note: this immediately generates an email to the user from World App welcoming them to their "trial" account. ** So it is important to quickly update the users record with appropriate terms of service, and to send them a separate email that includes the actual URL. **
- Update the user profile
- Log on to http://middlebury.keysurvey2.com as Middlebury_Admin
- Search for the new account, e.g. by Last Name.
Click on Search button. A list of matching users will appear at bottom of the page.
• If more than one user matches your search, click on UserID (these are automatically generated by the system) to see and modify additional information.
A new screen appears < http://middlebury.keysurvey2.com/Member/Admin/AdminEditSet.jsp?userid=NNNNN
- Modify the entries in these fields: Add/Remove Credits 10000
- • Click on Show Rights to set other properties:
For ease of set up and to provide user maximum flexibility
-- check all entries in the first four columns (Survey Design, Launch, Report, Import/Export)
-- uncheck all entries in the right-hand column (Options)
- !!! Notify WorldApp of new accounts !!!
In the background, they need to update them from "trial" to "professional" status (they are working on methodology for us to do this ourselves [6/10/10]). Send her the email address of users we add.
- Students must have faculty sponsor. Send account info to student & faculty member.
- FYI: this is the message I e-mail to the user and sponsor.
Your account, username: firstname.lastname@example.org password xxxnnn has been created.
Please read our survey policy document at http://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/KeySurvey-policy
Go to http://middlebury.keysurvey2.com to log in.
The on-line contextual help, accessed from the button at the top right of each screen is very good.
Here are a couple of tips:
• After making changes in any question, be sure to click the save button at the bottom of the page.
• After you create a rating scale once, it appears in the list of available scales. You do not need to create it again.
• The option for showing "back" buttons is on step #4, "Rules".
• Be sure to choose "Secure URL" for any urls.
You can find additional help at the Middlebury Key Survey wiki: - https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/KeySurvey
If a user reports the message "You have no more credits available. Please contact us to purchase more credits. You can reach by phone at 781-849-8118 or email: email@example.com.", edit the account, as above to assign more credits. They are in unlimited supply! Assign 10000 at a pop. Viewing survey results uses up credits. Credits serve no useful purpose at Midd.
Accessing user accounts.
As of January 2013, the default is for the Admin account NOT to be able to log in to user accounts. In order to copy a survey from one account to another, or to assist the user by accessing their account, the user must grant permission as follows:
My Account (top right) > Security Settings > Configure support access > Revoke access = Never
Result "The Support team has access to your account"
Copying surveys between accounts.
Note: you can only copy surveys from accounts to which you have login permission.
When you access the account by clicking on the userID link, you will see a "Show details" tab in accounts for which you have permission. Use "Show details" to access the "Cloning" section where you view the list of surveys in the user account and enter the userID of the destination account for the copy.
Multi-Access accounts. Some user accounts e.g. for a faculty member with students all doing a class project, have been created as user type "multi-access". KS has to switch the account to this user type. The account holder then has permission to create sub-accounts. The account holder creates subfolders in the main account and issues read/write permissions for the sub-account holders to the surveys in those folders. E.g. each student has a subfolder. Students can write surveys in their own folder and read surveys in other students' folders.