Known ARD Issues
Screen Sharing is Available
- After installing the latest OS update (or the latest ARD/ARDClient update), ARD cannot perform some ARD specific tasks and only lets you control the screen. The message displayed in the ARD status column is "Screen sharing is available".
- Possible solutions:
- Ensure ARD and the client are at the same version. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6818139
- Ensure ARD is turned on in System Preferences. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6818139
- The ARD ports need to be opened on admin and client end: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1796814&tstart=0
- Unblock ARDClient in the Firewall preference pane (Leopard): http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1832650&tstart=90
- More details here: http://lists.apple.com/archives/remote-desktop/2009/Feb/msg00038.html and http://lists.apple.com/archives/remote-desktop/2009/Feb/msg00000.html
Can only observe, not control
as of macOS Mojave (10.14), the
command does not provide the same access as when permissions are set in the Sharing system pane.