Middlebury

Difference between revisions of "LIS Website"

(Added scope and links to things in scope)
m
Line 3: Line 3:
 
__TOC__  
 
__TOC__  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
== Team Vision  ==
 
== Team Vision  ==
  
We are creating a web site with intuitive navigation, easy access to services and resources, inviting interfaces, and a workflow that allows simple maintenance.
+
We are creating a web site with intuitive navigation, easy access to services and resources, inviting interfaces, and a workflow that allows simple maintenance.  
  
== Scope ==
+
== Scope ==
  
*[http://go.middlebury.edu/lis LIS on the CMS]
+
*[http://go.middlebury.edu/lis LIS on the CMS]  
** [http://go.middlebury.edu/helpdesk Helpdesk site on the CMS]
+
**[http://go.middlebury.edu/helpdesk Helpdesk site on the CMS]  
** [http://go.middlebury.edu/lib Library site on the CMS]
+
**[http://go.middlebury.edu/lib Library site on the CMS]  
*[http://blogs.middlebury.edu LIS Blogs]
+
*[http://blogs.middlebury.edu LIS Blogs]  
** [https://blogs.middlebury.edu/acss/ Academic Consulting Services]
+
**[https://blogs.middlebury.edu/acss/ Academic Consulting Services]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/achapin/ Alex Chapin]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/achapin/ Alex Chapin]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/list/ All Things LIS]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/list/ All Things LIS]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/mikeroy/ Another Dean's View]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/mikeroy/ Another Dean's View]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/cnorris/ Chris' Blog]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/cnorris/ Chris' Blog]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/circservices/ Circulation Services]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/circservices/ Circulation Services]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/liscurriculartechteam/ Curricular Technology Team]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/liscurriculartechteam/ Curricular Technology Team]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/dmts/ Digital Media Tutors]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/dmts/ Digital Media Tutors]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/hornbeck/ Film and Online Video]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/hornbeck/ Film and Online Video]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/imcbride/ Ian's Web Services]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/imcbride/ Ian's Web Services]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/lisadvisors/ LIS Advisory Groups]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/lisadvisors/ LIS Advisory Groups]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/lisrestructuring/ LIS Restructuring]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/lisrestructuring/ LIS Restructuring]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/lissuggestions LIS Suggestions]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/lissuggestions LIS Suggestions]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/liswebsite LIS Website]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/liswebsite LIS Website]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/mackon/ Mack on Macs]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/mackon/ Mack on Macs]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/printingproject/ Middlebury Printing Project]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/printingproject/ Middlebury Printing Project]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/webredo/ Middlebury Web Makeover]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/webredo/ Middlebury Web Makeover]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/muslib/ On That Note]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/muslib/ On That Note]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/segue/ The Segue from Segue]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/segue/ The Segue from Segue]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/teachwithtech/ Teaching with Technology]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/teachwithtech/ Teaching with Technology]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/virtualmidd/ Virtual Worlds at Middlebury]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/virtualmidd/ Virtual Worlds at Middlebury]  
** [http://blogs.middlebury.edu/webredostories/ Web Makeover Docs]
+
**[http://blogs.middlebury.edu/webredostories/ Web Makeover Docs]  
*[[Main Page|LIS Wiki]]
+
*[[Main Page|LIS Wiki]]  
*[http://go.middlebury.edu/subsplus SubjectsPlus]
+
*[http://go.middlebury.edu/subsplus SubjectsPlus]  
 
*Access to LIS resources (but not neccessarily those resources themselves)
 
*Access to LIS resources (but not neccessarily those resources themselves)
  
Line 56: Line 56:
 
Present:&nbsp; Elin Waagen, Jess Isler, Ian McBride (time-keeper), Carrie Macfarlane (note-taker), Liz Whitaker-Freitas, Jim Beauchemin, Barbara Merz.  
 
Present:&nbsp; Elin Waagen, Jess Isler, Ian McBride (time-keeper), Carrie Macfarlane (note-taker), Liz Whitaker-Freitas, Jim Beauchemin, Barbara Merz.  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
1.&nbsp; Questions for the team - Jim and Carrie  
 
1.&nbsp; Questions for the team - Jim and Carrie  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
*Jim had some questions about roles and communication methods.&nbsp; He will meet with Doreen to review what he missed on Thurs afternoon and Fri morning
 
*Jim had some questions about roles and communication methods.&nbsp; He will meet with Doreen to review what he missed on Thurs afternoon and Fri morning
Line 66: Line 66:
 
*Carrie shared what she'd done to get caught up on team training.&nbsp; She asks that team members tell her when she does something contrary to what the team learned/agreed to during training.
 
*Carrie shared what she'd done to get caught up on team training.&nbsp; She asks that team members tell her when she does something contrary to what the team learned/agreed to during training.
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
2.&nbsp; Decide on a platform to facilitate documentation and communication&nbsp;  
 
2.&nbsp; Decide on a platform to facilitate documentation and communication&nbsp;  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
*What will we use this platform for?&nbsp; Communication within the team and with our users/constituents.
 
*What will we use this platform for?&nbsp; Communication within the team and with our users/constituents.
Line 82: Line 82:
 
*Ian created this Wiki category and our blog (&lt;a href="http://blogs.middlebury.edu/liswebsite/"&gt;LIS&nbsp;Website Project&lt;/a&gt;).
 
*Ian created this Wiki category and our blog (&lt;a href="http://blogs.middlebury.edu/liswebsite/"&gt;LIS&nbsp;Website Project&lt;/a&gt;).
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
3.&nbsp; Team Protocols  
 
3.&nbsp; Team Protocols  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
*Team protocols that were agreed upon during team training were listed:
 
*Team protocols that were agreed upon during team training were listed:
Line 102: Line 102:
 
f. Note taker-- I think this responsibility should rotate alphabetically.&nbsp; If someone can't take notes when it's his/her turn then that person can ask for a substitute.&nbsp; &lt;a href="User:Carrie Macfarlane"&gt;Macfarlane, Carrie Miyoshi&lt;/a&gt; 13:13, 30 June 2009 (UTC)  
 
f. Note taker-- I think this responsibility should rotate alphabetically.&nbsp; If someone can't take notes when it's his/her turn then that person can ask for a substitute.&nbsp; &lt;a href="User:Carrie Macfarlane"&gt;Macfarlane, Carrie Miyoshi&lt;/a&gt; 13:13, 30 June 2009 (UTC)  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
f1. Meeting time is a valuable resource. Team members will learn to use it wisely. Team members commit to being up to date on blog and wiki postings before each meeting. [Barbara 6/26]  
 
f1. Meeting time is a valuable resource. Team members will learn to use it wisely. Team members commit to being up to date on blog and wiki postings before each meeting. [Barbara 6/26]  
Line 156: Line 156:
 
ee.&nbsp; Meetings will start on time.&nbsp; Team will wait no longer than 5 minutes for late arrivals. &lt;a href="User:Carrie Macfarlane"&gt;Macfarlane, Carrie Miyoshi&lt;/a&gt; 13:14, 30 June 2009 (UTC)  
 
ee.&nbsp; Meetings will start on time.&nbsp; Team will wait no longer than 5 minutes for late arrivals. &lt;a href="User:Carrie Macfarlane"&gt;Macfarlane, Carrie Miyoshi&lt;/a&gt; 13:14, 30 June 2009 (UTC)  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
3.&nbsp; Vision Statements  
 
3.&nbsp; Vision Statements  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
*Team will meet on Th Aug 25 to develop vision statement
 
*Team will meet on Th Aug 25 to develop vision statement
Line 166: Line 166:
 
*Team members will submit draft vision statements to blog (&lt;a href="http://blogs.middlebury.edu/liswebsite/"&gt;LIS Website Project&lt;/a&gt;)
 
*Team members will submit draft vision statements to blog (&lt;a href="http://blogs.middlebury.edu/liswebsite/"&gt;LIS Website Project&lt;/a&gt;)
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
4.&nbsp; Future agenda items  
 
4.&nbsp; Future agenda items  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
*Other potential team protocols were mentioned in conversation as team members arrived at the meeting.&nbsp; It was suggested that these potential protocols be brought up during the time allotted for discussion of team protocols.&nbsp; Because we needed to plan for drafting a vision statement, we didn't have time to discuss protocols.&nbsp; Therefore, perhaps we should plan to discuss team protocols in a future meeting.
 
*Other potential team protocols were mentioned in conversation as team members arrived at the meeting.&nbsp; It was suggested that these potential protocols be brought up during the time allotted for discussion of team protocols.&nbsp; Because we needed to plan for drafting a vision statement, we didn't have time to discuss protocols.&nbsp; Therefore, perhaps we should plan to discuss team protocols in a future meeting.
Line 176: Line 176:
 
Other items on today's agenda for which we didn't have time (we had too many other important issues to resolve!):  
 
Other items on today's agenda for which we didn't have time (we had too many other important issues to resolve!):  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
*Define measurements/metrics (10 min)What does success look like?What metric will define our success?
 
*Define measurements/metrics (10 min)What does success look like?What metric will define our success?
Line 184: Line 184:
 
*Action Plan to Achieve Key Deliverables (10 min)Tasks to be accomplished?Who is accountable?Delivery Time?
 
*Action Plan to Achieve Key Deliverables (10 min)Tasks to be accomplished?Who is accountable?Delivery Time?
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
5.&nbsp; Action items  
 
5.&nbsp; Action items  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
*Jim had some questions about roles and communication methods. He will meet with Doreen to review what he missed on Thurs afternoon and Fri morning
 
*Jim had some questions about roles and communication methods. He will meet with Doreen to review what he missed on Thurs afternoon and Fri morning
Line 240: Line 240:
 
&lt;a href="User:Jessica Isler"&gt;Jess Isler&lt;/a&gt; 17:13, 25 June 2009 (UTC)  
 
&lt;a href="User:Jessica Isler"&gt;Jess Isler&lt;/a&gt; 17:13, 25 June 2009 (UTC)  
  
<br>
+
=== 2009:July 1 <br>  ===
 +
 
 +
Present: Barbara, Carrie, Elin, Ian, Jess, Jim, Liz <br>  
  
 
== Team Protocols  ==
 
== Team Protocols  ==
Line 246: Line 248:
 
Team Protocols  
 
Team Protocols  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
Agreement - to ensure success (from training workshop)  
 
Agreement - to ensure success (from training workshop)  
Line 260: Line 262:
 
*Confidentiality
 
*Confidentiality
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
Meeting Protocol:  
 
Meeting Protocol:  
Line 273: Line 275:
 
*Meeting location - varies to accomodate the work to be done (projection, white boards, etc) and member office locations
 
*Meeting location - varies to accomodate the work to be done (projection, white boards, etc) and member office locations
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
Misc.  
 
Misc.  

Revision as of 10:54, 1 July 2009

This is the space that the LIS Website Team will use for documentation and note taking.


Team Vision

We are creating a web site with intuitive navigation, easy access to services and resources, inviting interfaces, and a workflow that allows simple maintenance.

Scope

Resources

Meeting Notes

2009:  June 24

Present:  Elin Waagen, Jess Isler, Ian McBride (time-keeper), Carrie Macfarlane (note-taker), Liz Whitaker-Freitas, Jim Beauchemin, Barbara Merz.


1.  Questions for the team - Jim and Carrie


  • Jim had some questions about roles and communication methods.  He will meet with Doreen to review what he missed on Thurs afternoon and Fri morning
  • Carrie shared what she'd done to get caught up on team training.  She asks that team members tell her when she does something contrary to what the team learned/agreed to during training.


2.  Decide on a platform to facilitate documentation and communication 


  • What will we use this platform for?  Communication within the team and with our users/constituents.
  • What are our options?  Basecamp, Microsoft Project, Groove, MediaWiki, Wordpress, Drupal (not yet)
  • We discussed the merits and drawbacks of the options.
  • We decided by majority:  At least in the beginning, we will use MediaWiki for meeting notes and documentation, and Wordpress for communication among ourselves and with our users/constituents.  We may use email to direct users/constituents (and team members) to Wordpress.  We may use email to communicate within the team about mundane or ephemeral matters like absences at meetings.  We can revisit this decision in the future by adding it to a meeting agenda.


3.  Team Protocols


  • Team protocols that were agreed upon during team training were listed:

a. Meet weekly - adjust frequency as needed if there are no/more agenda items.

b. Set agenda ahead of time

c. Shared responsibility to generate agenda items, agenda facilitated by team leader

d. Agenda items will have specific time and sponsor

e. Time keeper

f. Note taker-- I think this responsibility should rotate alphabetically.  If someone can't take notes when it's his/her turn then that person can ask for a substitute.  <a href="User:Carrie Macfarlane">Macfarlane, Carrie Miyoshi</a> 13:13, 30 June 2009 (UTC)


f1. Meeting time is a valuable resource. Team members will learn to use it wisely. Team members commit to being up to date on blog and wiki postings before each meeting. [Barbara 6/26]

g. Use shared platform for communication and development of documentation

h. Timely (define?) posting of meeting notes

i. Time at end (5-10 min) for discussion or overflow or to set next meeting agenda

j. If unable to attend, responsible for getting caught up

k. Open honest dialogue (with tact)

l. Simple majority rules

m. Agreement - to ensure success (from training)

n. Authentic and candid dialogue

o. Honest - with tact

p. Open to others - come to agreement

q. Make the decision and move on - or fix it and move on

r. Depersonalize and on board

s. Participate, engage, share point of view 1X

t. Focus on and value time over story

u. Informed, fast decisions

v. Confidential

w. Take notes

x. Take responsibility

y. Volunteer, be willing

z. Right to expect candor and openness

aa. Own it

bb. Be present

cc. Be on time (late + good story = on time)

dd. Outlook calendars up to date (for scheduling purposes)

ee.  Meetings will start on time.  Team will wait no longer than 5 minutes for late arrivals. <a href="User:Carrie Macfarlane">Macfarlane, Carrie Miyoshi</a> 13:14, 30 June 2009 (UTC)


3.  Vision Statements


  • Team will meet on Th Aug 25 to develop vision statement


4.  Future agenda items


  • Other potential team protocols were mentioned in conversation as team members arrived at the meeting.  It was suggested that these potential protocols be brought up during the time allotted for discussion of team protocols.  Because we needed to plan for drafting a vision statement, we didn't have time to discuss protocols.  Therefore, perhaps we should plan to discuss team protocols in a future meeting.

Other items on today's agenda for which we didn't have time (we had too many other important issues to resolve!):


  • Define measurements/metrics (10 min)What does success look like?What metric will define our success?
  • Building Coalition - Creating a Marketing Plan (10 min)Who do we need to engage early on?We need to engage early for: information and understanding, input, resources (actual and potential)
  • Action Plan to Achieve Key Deliverables (10 min)Tasks to be accomplished?Who is accountable?Delivery Time?


5.  Action items


  • Jim had some questions about roles and communication methods. He will meet with Doreen to review what he missed on Thurs afternoon and Fri morning
  • Ian will create a blog and a mediawiki page -- done!
  • Liz will create Outlook group for LIS web team
  • We will meet with our sponsor (Jeff) or sponsor-backup (Mary)
  • We will meet elsewhere from time-to-time (Voter East, Music Library, Armstrong Library)

<a href="User:Carrie Macfarlane">Macfarlane, Carrie Miyoshi</a> 19:48, 25 June 2009 (UTC)

2009:  June 25

Present: Barbara, Carrie, Elin, Ian, Jess, Jim, Liz

1. Updates

  • Elin is updating Jeff R./Mary B. on team meeting highlights
  • Elin will create a post for LISt blog about existence of the LIS Website Project Blog.

2. Vision Statement Work

  • Discussion of bringing out common themes or words, creating a tagline (subtitle) for the blog, tags/keywords, discussion of what the statement really should be

[asides]

  • There’s a Wordle <a href="http://www.wordle.net/gallery/wrdl/967852/web_team">diagram</a> of our team vision statements on the blog; discussed what WORDLE is—what it represents and where it comes from: <a href="http://www.wordle.net/">Wordle</a> "Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text."
  • Discussed scheduling a projector room for future meetings

[back to vision statement discussion]

3. End of meeting discussion

<a href="User:Jessica Isler">Jess Isler</a> 17:13, 25 June 2009 (UTC)

2009:July 1

Present: Barbara, Carrie, Elin, Ian, Jess, Jim, Liz

Team Protocols

Team Protocols


Agreement - to ensure success (from training workshop)

  • Authentic and candid dialogue (honesty - with tact)
  • Open to others
  • Depersonalize
  • Participation is required
  • Engage, share point of view (1X)
  • Taking action and achieving results
  • Taking responsibility
  • Taking notes and communicating
  • Confidentiality


Meeting Protocol:

  • Meetings will start on time and end on time; unless team decides otherwise
  • Meeting time is a valuable resource. Team members will learn to use it wisely. Team members commit to being up to date on blog and wiki postings before each meeting
  • Meetings will start on time.
  • Meet weekly - adjust frequency as needed if there are no/more agenda items
  • Agenda - set/communicated ahead of meeting; facilitated by team leader; team shares responsibility for agenda items; time assigned to each agenda item; allow time at beginning (5 - 10 min) to allow for brief updates, news etc.; allow for time at end (5-10 min) for discussion overflow, to wrap up and to suggest agenda items for the next meeting
  • Time keeper - rotate responsibility
  • Note taker - rotate alphabetically. If someone can't take notes when it's his/her turn then that person can ask for a substitute. Meeting notes posted to the wiki within X days; action items listed
  • Meeting location - varies to accomodate the work to be done (projection, white boards, etc) and member office locations


Misc.

  • Be informed; make the decision and move on - or fix it and move on
  • Be on board
  • Focus on and value time over story
  • Take responsibility
  • Volunteer, be willing
  • Right to expect candor and openness
  • Be the solution
  • Be present
  • Team will use shared platform for communication and development of documentation
  • Communicate schedule availability to team leader; take personal responsibility for staying informed
  • Simple majority rules
  • Be on time (late + good story = on time)
  • Keep Outlook calendars up to date (for scheduling purposes)
  • Share schedule/workload conflicts with team
Powered by MediaWiki