Life After Middlebury - Technology
Once you leave Middlebury your access to various technology services begins to change and you need to be aware of what lies ahead and prepare accordingly. See recommendations below for tasks to tackle before you head out -- and others where you have a bit more time.
Access Removed Immediately
Access to many apps and services is granted based on membership in groups of active students, staff, and/or faculty. Access is removed immediately upon a change in status. For students, this happens at graduation. For faculty and staff, this happens upon retirement or leaving the College.
Please note that the following services are impacted immediately:
- Adobe desktop apps
- LinkedIn Learning's video-based online instruction
- Microsoft Office 365 for download
- VPN access
Access Available for Six Months
Per policy, access to the following resources is provided for 6 months:
- Email account (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Exception: Retirees have lifetime access.
- Midd/Miisfiles & Classes server storage
- OneDrive and Google cloud storage
- Online Google & Microsoft Office apps, including Webmail
- Websites on middcreate
- Websites on sites.midd and sites.miis
Important -- Things To Do Before Your Departure!
- If you want to save your email for use after you have left campus, you must export your messages to an Outlook Data File (.pst) using Outlook 365 (not Webmail) while you still have full access to Microsoft Office! Refer to these instructions for details.
Note: You may need to purchase your own copy of Office 365 in order to use the exported file, depending on which email program you plan to use. Many email programs can import .pst files -- but you must create the file before your status changes!
- Review your MFA settings to make sure they will still be appropriate once you leave campus.
- If you have work in Adobe's cloud storage, students (and faculty/staff) may access Adobe's Asset Migration Tool at graduation.adobe.com.
Things to Consider Before Six Months Go By
- Copy content from your Midd Google account to another account
- Take your Midd OneDrive files with you when you leave
- Get an unofficial copy of your transcript from BannerWeb (<meta charset="utf-8"></meta>via Student Records & Registration > Student Records > Academic Transcript).
- Transition your site on Middcreate -- see DLINQ’s When You Leave details
- Transition social media and vendor accounts (such as Facebook, Instagram, Apple ID, and Amazon) away from your @middlebury.edu address to a personal one to prevent possible account access issues later on.
- Use a personal email address when applying for jobs, internships, grad schools, etc. to insure you'll be able to access replies sent to you.