Life After Middlebury - Technology
Once you leave Middlebury your access to various technology services begins to change and you need to be aware of what lies ahead and prepare accordingly. See recommendations below for tasks to tackle before you head out -- and others where you have a bit more time.
Access Removed Immediately
Access to many apps and services is granted based on membership in groups of active students, staff, and/or faculty. Access is removed immediately upon a change in status. For students, this happens within just a few days after graduation. For faculty and staff, this happens upon retirement or leaving the College.
Please note that the following services are impacted immediately:
- Adobe desktop apps
- LinkedIn Learning's video-based online instruction
- Microsoft Office 365 for download
- VPN access
Access Available for Six Months
Per policy, access to the following resources is provided for 6 months:
- Email account (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Exception: Retirees have lifetime access.
- MiddleburyCollege wireless
- Midd/Miisfiles & Classes server storage
- OneDrive and Google cloud storage
- Online Google & Microsoft Office apps, including Webmail
- Student Health Records / Pyramed
- Websites on middcreate
- Websites on sites.midd and sites.miis
Important -- Things To Do Before Your Departure!
- Think about your Middlebury email now while you have the most options. Do you need any of it? Can you forward just a few messages you want to keep?
- Mac users can connect macOS mail (not Outlook) on your computer to both your @Midd and a personal gmail account, then drag mail from @midd to @gmail. Refer to these instructions for details.
- If you are not yet sure which program you will use for email after you leave campus, keep your options open and export your messages to an Outlook Data File (.pst) using Outlook 365 on a Windows computer (not Webmail) while you still have full access to Microsoft Office. Refer to these instructions for details.
Some email programs can import .pst files -- but you must create the file before your status changes!
Note: You may need to purchase your own copy of Office 365 in order to use the exported file, depending on which email program you plan to use. There are also free PST viewers such as  and  that let you view old email content.
- Review your MFA settings to make sure they will still be appropriate once you leave campus.
- If you have work in Adobe's cloud storage, students (and faculty/staff) may access Adobe's Asset Migration Tool at graduation.adobe.com.
Things to Consider Before Six Months Go By
- Copy content from your Midd Google account to another account
- Take your Midd OneDrive files with you when you leave
- Export your work from Canvas
- Get an unofficial copy of your transcript from BannerWeb (via Student Records & Registration > Student Records > Academic Transcript).
- Transition your site on Middcreate -- see DLINQ’s When You Leave details
- Transition social media and vendor accounts (such as Facebook, Instagram, Apple ID, and Amazon) away from your @middlebury.edu address to a personal one to prevent possible account access issues later on.
- Use a personal email address when applying for jobs, internships, grad schools, etc. to insure you'll be able to access replies sent to you.