MacOS High Sierra
macOS High Sierra (10.13.x) released to the public on September 25, 2017. This page will be updated as new developments arise.
As with all operating system upgrades, there are potential issues of compatibility with applications and services. If you have a question as to whether an application you are using will be compatible with Sierra, please check with the Helpdesk or with the application vendor. There is currently a block on High Sierra installation to college-owned Macs. If you would to install High Sierra before this block is removed, please create a software installation ticket at http://go.middlebury.edu/whd, and provide us with the Property of Middlebury College number of the computer.
Current Known Issues & Areas of Concern
- Active Directory: Macs upgraded to macOS High Sierra aren’t working correctly with Active Directory(AD). ITS staff aren’t being made admins by group, despite it being specified. Not all AD functions are broken new users are able to log onto a machine. It seems the remedy is to re-bind the computer to AD. Need to test with native High Sierra computers.
- Matlab Compatibility: Versions of Matlab below R2017b are not supported on High Sierra.
- Disk Utility: With the initial release of High Sierra there was an issue with Disk Utility and APFS for encrypted disks. This has been resolved with a macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update from the App Store updates page. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208168
- Apple's High Sierra Overview
- macOS High Sierra New Features - lynda course (40 min)
- macOS High Sierra Essential Training - lynda course (8 hrs, 12 min)
last updated 10/4/2017 -- use http://go/highsierra/ to visit again, easily