Mac OS X Server Administration
NOTE: This page contains information that is only useful to Helpdesk / LIS faculty and staff. Therefore I'm considering moving this information to our Internal wiki. If you feel that this information is important to the general public and/or do NOT think that this move is appropriate, please comment on the discussion page.
--Hunt, Christopher 15:00, 17 November 2009 (UTC)
NetBooting Across Subnets
Is well described here: http://www.bombich.com/mactips/nbas.html
It allows you to netboot a machine even if it isn't is the same subnet as the netboot server. The utility I use is Mike Bombich's NBAS: http://www.bombich.com/software/nbas.html
- Download the utility and run it.
- From your Netboot admin get the following:
- netboot server's IP
- netboot set location
- netboot set name
- netboot image name
- I found that using the package method is best (NBAS allows you to create a package). Also, I strongly recommend checking the "next boot only" checkbox.
- Run the package on the machines that need to be netbooted. You can even deploy it via ARD on multiple machines.
NetBoot Fails to Start with error Exception in doCommand nil key
- Cause: Check http://www.lsa.umich.edu/lsait/admin/mac/netboot-disabled.asp
- stop NFS, refresh, wait for netboot to go green, start nfs.
- Reboot the server.
- Move/delete /var/db/mountdtab
- Personally, I moved all the nbi images to a backup folder, stopped Netboot, added one image, restarted netboot. WIll add the rest one at a time.
Error nfs_boot_getfh XXX failed with X
- Cause: The Netboot or the NFS service on the server seems to lose the connection to the storage device where the images are.
- Turn off Netboot. Turn off NFS. Turn on NFS. Turn on Netboot.
- http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8191960 (recreate the NFS share point)
- http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8191960 -- I fixed my issues with the following steps: 1) Remove the share for existing NetBootClients0 and NetBootSP0. 2) Server Admin -> Netboot -> Settings -> General -> Select where to put images and client data: Unselect all checkboxes, then click Save. 3) Select the checkbox for the appropriate drives and click Save. 4) Start the Netboot service.
- Reboot the server.
Losing Connection to the Fibre Channel
Rebooting the server fixes this. I haven't found a way to troubleshoot this without rebooting.