Mac OS X Sierra
Mac OS X Sierra Mac OS X Sierra (10.12.x) released to the public on September 20, 2016. This page will be updated as new developments arise.
As with all operating system upgrades, there are potential issues of compatibility with applications and services. If you have a question as to whether an application you are using will be compatible with Sierra, please check with the Helpdesk or with the application vendor. There is currently a campus-wide block on Sierra installation to college-owned Macs. If you would like to request installation of Sierra, please create a software installation ticket at http://go.middlebury.edu/whd.
Current Known Issues & Areas of Concern
- Parallels - El Capitan and Sierra are not fully compatible with Parallels versions below 11. Users who choose to upgrade to El Capitan or Sierra can still access Windows in Bootcamp by holding down Option while booting, then selecting the Bootcamp partition, but access to a Bootcamp partition will not work with earlier versions of Parallels.
- MATLAB -- Sierra introduces changes that impact many non-United States regions and locales. MATLAB is not yet completely compatible.
- Apple's OS X Sierra overview
- MacOS Sierra New Features - lynda course (53 min)
- MacOS Sierra Essential Training - lynda course (8 hrs 14 min)
last updated 09/21/2016 -- use http://go/sierra to visit again, easily