Mac OS X Yosemite
Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.x), released on 16 October 2014 and is available as an upgrade for faculty and staff who are currently running Mavericks (10.9.x). If your machine is running Mavericks (10.9.x) or Mountain Lion (10.8.x) the upgrade will appear automatically in Software Updates under the Apple Menu. If your machine is running Snow Leopard (10.6.x) or Lion (10.7.x), you will need to contact the Technology HelpDesk to discuss upgrade options.
As with all operating system upgrades, there are potential issues of compatibility with applications and services. If you have a question as to whether an application you are using will be compatible with Yosemite, please check with the Helpdesk or with the application vendor.
As of 1 June 2015, new computers provided for faculty and staff will be running Yosemite (10.10.3); public labs are scheduled to be updated to Yosemite after the completion of the 2015 Language Schools.
Yosemite has several improvements, including better support of multiple monitors, handoff capabilities between Yosemite and iOS8 devices, and enhanced iCloud Drive capabilities . See Apple's complete list of what's new in Yosemite or get up to speed with the latest innovations using lynda.com's new, hour-long course: Mac OS X Yosemite New Features.
Current Known Issues & Areas of Concern
- Java 7 will not install due to an OS conflict, which means Nolij cannot be used on computers with Yosemite.
- iPhoto and iTunes MUST be updated and the applications launched to update the libraries PRIOR to updating the OS. ITS recommends that you always run all application updates prior to updating your operating system.
- iMovie HD (version 6), a perennial favorite, has been sunsetted and is no longer functional
- All software by the vendor Ambrosia no longer works. Updates are promised to address this, but there is no stated date when these will be available. This impacts the following popularly-used software:
- Wiretap Studio
- SnapZPro (has been replaced in the Wilson Multimedia Development Lab - DFL 220 - with ScreenFlow)
- Outlook for Mac version 2016 is experiencing stability issues.
- Several Macs have had boot problems since upgrading. ITS is investigating causes and solutions. Active Directory binding may be a factor. Please contact the helpdesk if you have encountered boot problems, so we may offer advice and so we may learn from your experiences. - 10.10.3 reportedly fixes this issue (4/8/15)
- Matlab R2014a does not launch properly. Error starting desktop. (patch available from MathWorks)
- There are scattered reports of WiFi connectivity issues. If you experience this, please contact the Helpdesk. - Updates have been released to fix WiFi issues. Check that you have the latest version or report the version you have if making a report of an issue. (4/18/15)
- DropBox users have experienced periodic problems opening files or during save-as. DropBox reports that the recent update 10.10.1 fixes this issue.
- Mac Mail - there are no reports of problems under normal usage. If an incorrect password is entered (or stored in the Keychain), Mac Mail for Yosemite may send many login attempts, rather than returning a failure prompt. Account lockout may result.
last updated 6/22/15 -- use go/yosemite to visit again, easily