Forward your Middlebury email to an off-campus address
If you plan to be away from the college or simply want to use another email provider, you can set forwarding of your Outlook/Exchange mail using a utility on the web. This utility sets a forwarding address for all mail to the address you provide. Please be aware that your alternate provider is the only source for messages sent to you during the time you have your mail forwarded, because forwarded messages are not duplicated on the mail server here at Middlebury College.
This section provides instructions for setting forwarding to an alternate email provider and removing forwarding when you want to receive your mail at Middlebury College’s email service.
- You cannot forward a Middlebury account to another Middlebury account. Forwarding must be to an external e-mail account.
- Never forward multiple Middlebury accounts to the same external account.
- E-mail distribution lists that have special permissions (such as class lists) do NOT work from external accounts! You must log on and use your Middlebury account to send messages to these lists..
First, access the Forwarding settings page:
- In the Address field of your browser, type go/forward and press Enter.
- A page will appear that asks for your email username and password. Enter these in as normal.
- (Make sure you leave out the "@middlebury.edu" part of your email address, as this isn't technically part of your username.)
- Click Logon. The Email Forwarding page will open, and looks something like this:
To enable forwarding:
- Click the radio button next to "Forward all the e-mail sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to this off campus e-mail address". Enter the off-campus address where you want to receive your mail.
- Click on Make Changes. A message will appear telling you that forwarding has been turned on. You'll need to wait up to 30 minutes for forwarding to take effect. Feel free to send yourself a test email to your Middlebury address to see whether forwarding has been enabled yet.
To disable forwarding so that your Middlebury email appears in your Middlebury inbox:
- Click the radio button in front of the words "Do not forward my e-mail. Keep it in my Middlebury mailbox".
- Click on Make Changes. A message will appear telling you that forwarding has been turned on. You'll need to wait up to 30 minutes for forwarding to turn off.
Out of Office Replies with Forwarded Email
Because mail-forwarding set up through go/forward happens before the mail reaches your Exchange inbox, Out-of-office replies set up through web-mail will cease to function if you forward your mail.