This page provides instructions for how to set forwarding to an alternate e-mail provider and how to remove forwarding when you want to receive your mail at Middlebury College’s e-mail service.
Important considerations and limitations:
- You cannot forward a Middlebury account to another Middlebury account. Forwarding must be to an external e-mail account.
- E-mail distribution lists that have special permissions (such as class lists) do NOT work from external accounts! You must log on and use your Middlebury account to send messages to these lists.
- Never forward multiple Middlebury accounts to the same external account.
- Faculty should not forward their e-mail as this creates security and privacy concerns.
Please follow Microsoft's instructions to redirect your e-mail.
- Note that you probably want to redirect your e-mail (the first set of instructions), so that if you reply from the forwarded address, replies will go to the original sender. If you forward your e-mail (using the second instructions), each e-mail will look like it came from your own Middlebury account.
Out of Office Replies with Forwarded E-mail
Because mail-forwarding set up through forwarding.middlebury.edu happens before the messages reach your Middlebury inbox, Out-of-office replies do not function when forwarding is in effect.